Ratings for satellite cable and switches please

Thanks to all in a previous thread about connecting up sat systems. Spiney on

that Spaun is the highest quality and that lower priced multiswitches might suffer interference if UHF and VHF is fed into socket 5. Because the sole distributor Teldis seems such a peculiarly difficult company to deal with, I am considering other makes such as Triax, Konig and Delta. These are more generally available. I guess I would not be able to order Spaun direct from Germany due to the distributorship.

Has anyone a recommendation for these other makes, or any others for that matter?

Andy Hall recommended 'good quality branded CT100 cable'. Any suggestions for a maker?

Thanks Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

In message , Peter Scott wrote

Consider also foam dielectric

Alan

Beware, Spiney was unfortunately an annoying nonsense trolling idiot over at uk.tech.digital-tv in 2005. Information stated by him needs serious cross checking for accuracy. Many bear keyboard finger problems in attempting to post corrections to it all.

Try asking over at uk.tech.digital-tv

Reply to
Adrian C

Right

Thanks for the warning about spiney.

The wrightsaerials cable reference appears to be excellent. Seems that by chance I bought the right cable before I knew better. Thought I was going to have to buy again.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Scott

That's odd. I had no difficulty with them at all.

Belden.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If Bill Wright sez its OK .. then it is OK !)

One of the most knowledgeable aerial riggers around:)..

Reply to
tony sayer

I guess I would not be able

Did you mean Teldis or direct order from Spaun? It's just you get an impression from a company's (Teldis) website. I have now tried twice to register with them and failed. Don't think it's me. Awaiting a reply to email.

Duly noted.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

I meant Teldis.

They are predominantly a trade supplier but their web site is "underperforming"

I called them when I was after the equipment to implement a whole house UHF and VHF distribution system and satellite distribution system involving two dishes, one motorised and multiple outlets.

I bought the VHF/UHF and Spaun equipment from them but the antennas and dish equipment elsewhere.

Because I need to use two transmitters in different directions with different power levels on the channels, it was necessary to include channelised filters in the design (i.e. device able to adjust levels per channel) and combiners to bring in VHF band 2 and DAB. For the VHF/UHF system, I wanted to have a lot of outlets and didn't want to home run the cables to a central point, so this system is a classical MATV design with taps and splitters allowing a tree structured cabling arrangement.

The satellite design was simpler and to a smaller number of outlets, home run.

Teldis produced a complete initial design and equipment list for both systems, which I was able to tweak to the final precise design.

I had a commercial antenna installer to install the outside antennas and dishes and cable to the head end as well as setting up the channel filters. I did the rest of the cable distribution in the house.

The satellite system was rather more simple. Most of the work was in installing the motorised dish and adjusting it so that it tracks correctly when moved. Fixed dishes are rather easier to do.

Installaton and configuration of the Spaun switch was quite easy. There are some preset switches and a gain control and that's about it.

Realistically, Teldis are probably not going to do a complete system design for a Spaun system only, but then it isn't needed anyway.

The important thing is to work out which model you need. There are one and two dish versions with more and less expandability. I bought one of the two dish expandable units to begin with and added an expander unit later.

This was all a few years ago and it's possible that Teldis have switched to a trade only business model. Even if so, they should be able to supply through a dealer.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes could be. I've tried once more to register and await events. As they are the sole distributor I think that, if I get nowhere, I will contact Spaun to describe lost sales in the UK due to Teldis' lack of attention. Extensive searches through Google and other routes have come up with no-one else who sells Spaun in the UK. Others on my list are Triax and Antiference. Any views? Labgear's web site lets it down. Their data sheets come as a xls spreadsheet. Suppose that's not so bad but I wonder if it's a symptom of poor organisation.

I have also been reading the importance of terminators on unused sockets and earth bond strips. CPC sells both so yet another order is about to fly off before long.

Thanks again for the advice

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

I would suggest being proactive and picking up the phone. Emails on web sites can be broken - you could try sending an email directly to sales@ as well. Then if they aren't responsive, you'll know for sure.

Triax has a good reputation in antennas. I am not sure about multiswitches. I've had Antiference stuff in the past and had problems with some items - e.g. antennas falling apart. This doesn't mean that switches would of course.

That's why I wouldn't set too much store by web sites for what are essentially commercial trade products. Quite often, they put up a PDF of their catalogue and that's your lot.

IIRC, Spaun products come with the terminators. I bought a big bag of them because ordinary splitters usually don't.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Fair comment. Yes I'll give Teldis a ring soon. It's a shame when a company's rep is damaged by offering a service which then fails due to poor design. I've noticed many companies fail to respond to email. Better not to have contact email at all.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Peter Scott saying something like:

Dealing with Antiference is a pleasure. You get to speak with a genuine Tech Bod if you have a valid query and he goes out of his way to help.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Thanks for the recommendation

Peter Scott