Rather OT: Bacon Butties

Nonsense, water isn't injected to increase the weight. It's done for perfectly acceptable reasons connected with plumpness and moistness and flavour and, most importantly, because the customers like it and demand it. Nothing to do with shamlessley disposing of whey which you'd otherwise have to pay to get rid of elsewhere, coincidentally bulking the meat up shamelessly.

I know this 'cos I've been told it on the radio by various meat industy representatives over the years, so it must be true.

Reply to
Skipweasel

That's Danish Bacon.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And they don't know how to make a decent cuppa.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

And I was just pumping up the pressure in the flamethrower....

:o)

Reply to
Huge

Their wiring's pretty dodgy as well.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

When I were a lad you could fry the bacon in the pan and then wipe the pan round with a slice of bread and really enjoy the result. The bread would come out dry nowadays.

So is their bread. Mind you the average UK loaf is trash as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mike Tomlinson :

That's one way of looking at it, but not strictly accurate I suspect. I don't think adding water increases the price of a given piece of meat. It reduces the price per kilo, so that said piece of meat appears to be better value. If everyone does it, as they appear to, anyone who fails to add water looks like bad value (but isn't).

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Not as vile as the average Merkin mass-market white bread.

Reply to
Huge

I wondered how long I could keep it up before you blew a fuse.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Crap curing. Its the salts and water that has been injected.

Morrison's do a nice dry cured bacon. You can tell its dry cured as its shrunk not swelled up like the cr@p some sell as dry cured. Rind is still on and you just get fat out of it when you fry/grill.

Reply to
dennis

Swine. :o)

Still, it's got to better than preparing a presentation on Data Protection for Monday's team meeting.

Reply to
Huge

Generally true. But Samuel Adams beer is OK.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes, that's true... fresh-baked loaves are normally decent enough quality, but it's hard to find one that hasn't been pre-sliced into very thin slices before being put on sale, and impossible (at least around here) to find one with a nice crusty top - the crusts are always uniformly soft all the way around. cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Hmm, I've heard that before - but the stuff sold around here as Canadian bacon is more like a big chunk 'o ham; it's much thicker than UK bacon and also lacks any kind of rind. The taste is pretty close, but the texture's way off - and having a bit of rind on there is really essential.

You were spot-on with your description of US bacon, though. :-(

When I eventually make a trip back to the UK I'm going to pig out on fish and chips and bacon sarnies, I think. :)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

;)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Oh heck yes. Cook the sossies in it, too, then the eggs, then wipe an inch-thick slice of bread around the pan. You're making me drool. More than I normally do. ;)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

You probably have enough land to keep a pig..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You've probably heard it, but sliced white bread is a masterpiece of science. They managed to get water to stand up.

Reply to
Peter Scott

One to avoid like the plague is 'bacon' in hotels in Moslem countries. They've had a try at making it with beef (or is it?). The rashers look good but taste foul.

Reply to
Peter Scott