Rated people for tradesmen

hat the review is for the trader, not for the product, and when you're crit ical of a product they delete the review when the trader asks them to. So d isastrous & illegal products go uncriticised.

hat product don't reflect user experience.

They published it, then pulled it after the seller complained that it was a product review. I was shocked to say the least. I no longer have any confi dence in amazon reviews.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I wonder if there is scope for a uk.d-i-y recommended list :-)

I've a decent fence guy, and a decent plumber/heating guy in Folkestone area that I'd recommend.

I guess by definition of the group we'd not get a great collection going though :-)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Aren't the reviews of products & the reviews of traders separate?

Reply to
Adam Funk

Does the fence guy go as far as Herne Bay? I'm looking...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Is there a Kent Separatist movement?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Probably would if the job was big enough. Bit far (he is in Hythe) for a small job. Not cheap as he only uses Jacksons stuff, but good quality with

25yr warranty.

Failing that, if you are interested in good quality fencing then get in touch with Jacksons - they have a list of recommended fitters for small jobs (where small is less than 40 bays or something mad IIRC!). I expect they'd have someone more local.

Don't ask him to fit crap panels at a tenner a bay though... :-)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

that the review is for the trader, not for the product, and when you're cr itical of a product they delete the review when the trader asks them to. So disastrous & illegal products go uncriticised.

that product don't reflect user experience.

a product review. I was shocked to say the least. I no longer have any con fidence in amazon reviews.

Aren't there both product reviews, and separate trader reviews, on Amazon? I am an occasional seller (of s/hand books, mainly), and when you look 'my st ore' up, you can see how people have reviewed my service. Reviews of the book it self are seen separately when you eg. look up a particular book in general (ie. this is the type most usually seen).

In the 'usual' product review section you quite often see comments/moans et c. when someone mistakenly reviews the actual trade, eg: "Book came swiftly in good condition" may well get 'shouted down'.

Jon N

Reply to
jkn

There'd have to be two movements. Those Men of Kent cannot abide the Kentish Men.

Reply to
Tim Watts

No, we want good stuff after the way we were ripped off last time...

I'll look at the Jacksons fitters - thanks.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Exactly. And I'm from Sussex anyway.

Reply to
Bob Eager

West or East?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Technically, these days neither. I was just born in 'Sussex'. Now Brighton.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A useful suggestion, thanks. But it looked to me as if all their fencing relied upon vertical wooden posts, possibly embedded in concrete at the base. That's been the problem with existing fence, after 20 odd years, the wooden posts have all rotted at ground level. I'd been thinking of concrete posts, even though they look uglier. Any comments?

Reply to
Clive Page

Jacksons only do wood posts, but some of their fitters will fit concrete posts. You don't get the jacksons warranty then though.

These

Guaranteed for 25 years which if they last that long, will beat next doors concrete posts that look pretty ropy now at under 15 years old...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

No, you have that the wrong way round. Read the very clear policy here:

In particular, the following section:

Off-topic information:

  • Feedback on the seller, your shipment experience or the packaging (you can do that at
    and
  • Content not specific to the item being reviewed

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

That page is totally at odds with the reason they gave me for pulling the review. Perhaps I should follow it up.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

For what it's worth the fences at my parents' house (Ashford area) are all Jacksons 6ft closeboard. They were installed in the early '80s, laughed at the the slight wind in Oct '87, and are still in good shape now.

Cheers

Mark

Reply to
Ferretygubbins

While we're on good quality stuff down here in Kent...

Can thoroughly recommend Eagle Sheds. We bought a shed from them about 25 years ago. We've moved since then, but not far (house at the bottom on the garden 'then' is now opposite us). The shed is still in good nick. Bought two off them last year, very good quality and they build them all to order (door and windows where you want, any size you want). Lots of options.

Reply to
Bob Eager