rat poison

Having read the thread on dead rats I really ought to put something down now the cold weather has arrived. I see the odd mouse or rat and probably best to sort them out. I cant be bothered with traps so poison would be preferred. Are the poisons much the same or are there any recommended suggestions.

Reply to
ss

I think that vitamin D is sometimes used.

Reply to
polygonum

I use "Neosorexa Gold" which I buy in 6kg drums.

Reply to
Huge

Like wise, it was a drum of that the bugger chewed into after getting into the shed so the attraction property must good. kept in a metal drum as well now.

Don't know in what enviroment the OP lives but they should really find their local equivalent to Scats/Mole valley farmers etc and see what is available . And get a bait box to use it properly unless they can rig up one when themselves. leaving open poison or sachets around can see the rodents dragging them somewhere else where an unintended target gets poisened.

Some poisons can only legally be used in enclosed areas but I'm not sure how easy it to get them over the counter, best check before purchase. G.harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Are you sure? Normal rat poison is anti-vitamin K.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Yes. Not sure how much is actually used - and sometimes they go on about vitamin D analogs. Agreed about anti-K.

"Cholecalciferol is an acute (single-feeding) and/or chronic (multiple-feeding) rodenticide toxicant with unique activity for controlling commensal rodents including anticoagulant-resistant rats. Cholecalciferol differs from conventional acute rodenticides in that no bait shyness is associated with consumption and time to death is delayed, with first dead rodents appearing 3-4 days after treatment."

polygonum

Bear in mind that with a trap you know where the body is. Poison you don't, it's not unknown for the smell from an inaccessable corpse to be a bit overpowering for a while...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Having read the thread on dead rats I really ought to put something down now the cold weather has arrived. I see the odd mouse or rat and probably best to sort them out. I cant be bothered with traps so poison would be preferred. Are the poisons much the same or are there any recommended suggestions.

Have an eBay search for a squirrel trap. Catch humanely. release in the wild where no other habitats like houses are, it's only a rat FFS.... it deserves a life as much as any other living thing.

Reply to
Nthkentman

Two problems with that:

  1. It's illegal (rats are vermin; releasing vermin is illegal).
  2. It's not actually very humane. Rats are territorial; where-ever you release the captured rat, the locals will try and kill it (and there will be locals).
Reply to
Martin Bonner

+1 - good stuff

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Not a great fan of poison, due to the fact they may die and some other wild animal will eat them and probably also die.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I was amused to see this post appear immdeitealy under one entitled 'Aldi Wine' .....:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Me neither but when I bought this house 18 months ago I had several under the floorboards (mice) and they chewed a couple of hose pipes (flooded my kitchen), and had knawed a corner of the garden shed. I did use traps and released them far away. I have sinced tiled the kitchen floor and dont have proper access.

I will make something that only allows small rodents access and protect what I can but my priority is to get rid of them quickly. To be honest if I thought they wouldnt get back indoors they wouldnt bother me but we have an elderly dog and the door sometimes has to be left open.

Reply to
ss

Also interesting that Bell Labs have diversified!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ