Rasptop in a box?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to find a cheap 7" or 10" LCD screen and use that with a Raspberry in some kind of wooden box to make an easily and highly configurable low-cost laptop.

It'd be a little slow compared to all this quad-core stuff, but usable, and you could have any power supply you liked: a 6V. gel-cell topped up by a solar cell array, 5 NiMH D cells, 4 alkaline D cells, a car battery via a regulator, or mains.

The LCD might require some kind of voltage stepup device; 6v. to 12v. DC, or to 120v. AC (since monitors often run on 110-250v. AC).

A dongle could give Internet access via 3G or a hot spot, a Linmodem might give dialup access for use where there's only a phone line, a TV screen could be used where available, and a mini wireless keyboard could control it all (I just bought one with an optical trackball, scroll wheel, and nearly full keyboard for about 16.00 - nifty, works with Ubuntu, may well work with Raspbian).

The whole thing could be quite low in its power requirements.

Maybe some energetic young guy is already doing something along these lines and has thought it through a bit more?

Isn't this the sort of thing the designers had in mind for darkest Africa (or at this time of year darker Scotland) ?

Reply to
Windmill

I was reading an article on this and they said there were loads of screens with HDMI interfaces that were being used with Rpis. Seems you will be spoilt for choice.

Seems quite an interesting project.

Reply to
Ericp

think its all for sale as a kit somewhere

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Google 'Motorola Lapdock'.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Th Pi can also drive the industry standard LCD interface directly IIRC - so its easy to hook up phone style LCDs etc. Someone did a dinky 4" tall arcade machine using one, and running MAME.

Reply to
John Rumm

Our students have just built a floor standing two player arcade console with a nice big LCD screen, powered by a Pi.

Reply to
Bob Eager

An £80 7 inch android tablet gives you much of this in a very compact package.

Reply to
newshound

This is the kind of thinking that produced the 80s micro computer boom of course but unfortunately a lot of the people in the world are not used to more sophisticated gear so any development like this has got to be really cheap or it will just be a curio. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That would probably take care of the power consumption problem which use of a standard LCD monitor would cause. Or an LCD display which could use ambient light, when bright enough, instead of a backlight, might help. Though I suppose LED backlights could be less power-hungry and easier to adjust for lower power when not needed. Not cheap though?

Reply to
Windmill

But modifiying it is less easy!

Reply to
Windmill

The problem may be in finding an LCD as inexpensive as an Rpi.

Reply to
Windmill

Seems to cost more than the Rasp, and might be difficult to connect to it.

Reply to
Windmill