RANT: cost of spare parts vs total replacement cost

Bought it off my brother in law for a song - he didn't appreciate it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , Tim Streater scribeth thus

Damm!, The wife's one was built in 1971 the same year she was born!.

Mind you a few mods and re-capping (essential for ones of that vintage and makes it perform better) will see it and the QUAD LL speakers that go with it around for a long time to come yet;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Was the song 'You Belong To Me'?

don't write tunes like that any more...

MM

Reply to
MM

Good idea.

Reply to
Adam Funk

My IBM model M "Manufactured in United Kingdom 12-08-1988" still working.

Reply to
djc

Not quite (but close). Right: You understand the idea that many memory chi= ps are made on a single slice of silicon perhaps 6" across. The wafer is t= hen sawn up into the individual chips and tested. =20

The problem is that the bigger the individual chip is, the more likely it i= s to have a error, so the lower the overall yield is. Uncle Clive wanted t= o make a single memory chip from the whole wafer (which would then be used = as screamingly fast hard drives). The chances of getting a perfect wafer = are effectively zero, so the whole thing had to be able to cope with a cert= ain level of faults.

... so it wasn't really to "save money", it was to be able to make a /reall= y/ big chip at all.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Mine is, of course a Model 'M', used daily. I have the 1989 one at work but that's only used 5 days a week.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Agreed.

Although I try not to buy new things if I can find something old that achieves the same aim; with the older things schematics are often available for electronics, or the thing is simple enough that I can implement a workaround, or over-engineered enough that it doesn't break in the first place, or I can outright make replacement parts if spares are not available etc.

... plus keeping stuff out of landfill and not requiring that a complete replacement be manufactured and shipped to me is also quite eco- friendly :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Mine's November '86, but it wasn't bought new by me and so doesn't qualify, I think. I've got no end of ancient gadgets kicking around that I look after and keep running, but I'm not sure what the oldest that I bought (new) personally is.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Huh my 1929 Ariel ?

new by my uncle, still goes as good as new after 83 years.

-
Reply to
Mark

grimly4

Hmm... Murphy 62B Navy receiver, hard to date it, but around 1950. Still going strong last time I plugged it in, but PO had re-capped a lot of it. All the valves worked wonderfully well and it's as sensitive as a very sensitive thing on a sensitive day in Sensitivetown.

grimly4

Thanks! This is the version I know:

Gib Bogle

Sorry - this is the one - same singer, better version.

Gib Bogle

Show-off! But do you commute on it?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

My first PC was a Zenith Z100. This came with a big set of ring-bound manuals describing every aspect of the system, and two complete printouts of the BIOS code. Why two? Because this machine could be booted either as 8-bit CP/M using the 8085, or 16-bit ZDOS using the

8088 (this was just before MS-DOS came out). The complete info provided
  • a scope enabled me to track down a m/b chip problem that nowadays would result in the machine being junked.
Reply to
Gib Bogle

"Mah Wullie..."

Reply to
geoff

Used near every day and lives outside? My SD1 is/does.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've had three SD1s - good workhorse

Reply to
geoff

Didn't come out till about 66, super5 and crusader sport were earlier.

AJH

Reply to
AJH