Rant: Banks that only let you see the last few transactions online

But ATM the bank's are stealing it (as someone who had money stolen by a bank this way - significantly more than 1 and 6 and significantly less then

46 years dormant, actually it was less than 46 weeks!)

I know which I prefer YMMV

tim

Reply to
tim.....

1/6? It was 26 bob.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Oh yeah.

Still three orders of magnitude less than what the bank "stole" off of me!

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Sue 'em in the small claims court!

Reply to
Phil Addison

Is that for the travel insurance offered instead of free foreign ATMs? I'm in the same situation as you regarding the £750 thing. They sent a letter saying I had to pop 750/1k (can't remember) in each month until the end of 2012, which I will do with same day faster payments shuffles. For foreign ATMs, I visited Metrobank when in London.

Reply to
Part Timer

How does it identify you? All it shows is that the person has the card and knows the cards PIN.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, that's it. I don't actually care about the 'free' travel insurance: a) because I'm sure the small print won't cover my trips if I could be bother to look. (ie business, nor 90 days away); b) there is similar insurance with my Santander account and they only want £500 pcm to keep the account open; c) if I really wanted insurance I would take out a policy that met my needs.

Moreover, the 'free' travel insurance was introduced when they started charging commission on currency transactions (+ £1 ATM fee if cash withdrawal). That cost me over £26 last year and will be a lot more this year as I was away all summer. I've just compared the exchange rate (inc charges) I got from Nationwide compared to the card transactions on my Northern Rock current account. Nationwide works out at 2p in the £1 more expensive.

Reply to
djc

No I got the money back, just like you will with the new scheme.

I was just pointing out that the "government" scheme that the PP was complaining about is exactly the same as what happened before, except that a different party benefits from the proceeds of accounts whilst they are dormant.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Sorry, Balance (been doing gas, water and electric spreadsheets and, of course, use Total in those.

Reply to
PeterC

In that case I'm stumped because it all works fine at this end. Are you sure there's nothing lurking in column H, a formula of some kind maybe? Try copying from the website and pasting into a new ss.

Reply to
stuart noble

Thanks. The last column is just as currency - no formula - and copying and pasting makes no difference. The result is always the same in Excel 2003 and LibreOffice Calc, although Calc offers the extended sorting.

Reply to
PeterC

That would drive me crazy. The people on the microsoft.public.excel groups are very helpful

Reply to
stuart noble

K0R34n_K3ba6

Reply to
The Other Mike

I keep a special shovel for those.

Reply to
PeterC

I might try there, then. I'm getting to prefer Calc as I find it easier to use, but that might be because it's 9 years younger. I'd love to know /why/ the sorting doesn't work, even if I can't fix it curiosity and all that.

Reply to
PeterC

Well exactly. It changes the order in H but not in tandem with the other columns. Crazy :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

If a column won't sort correctly (read 'as expected') then surely it must be one of 2 things 1) The column or part of it is not selected to be sorted, or 2) the contents of the cells are not what you think they are. For 1) make sure whole rows are selelcted not just a rectangular block*. For 2) look for trailing or leading 'spaces', real "£" signs as opposed to £'s displayed by the currency format, text instead of numeric cells, any non-printing characters. Try manually re-typing in the values. Try pasting the data into notepad then cut'n'paste into excel to get rid of any non-printing characters.

*In excel, once you start the sort you can't see what area was selelcted so its difficult to know if you accidentally left some data out of the sort. I've been bitten by that a few times.

-- Phil Addison

Reply to
Phil Addison

contents of the

selelcted not just

its difficult

by that a few

I've downloaded a Santander xls and everything works as it should, so I guess the data is ok, and the problem must be at the OP's end

Reply to
stuart noble

I've got one of those. I found out once where to send it, but Windows crash= ed and I lost the information. But as my address and signature have changed= , I wonder if they'd give me the money anyway? It has some sentimental valu= e in bringing back childhood memories, so for the moment I'm not too worrie= d. I did cash in the National Savings certificates that my mum must have sc= rimped and saved to buy me. A not too insignificant sum, but inflation mean= t they were hardly the nest-egg mum must have intended.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk

contents of the

selelcted not just

1) I've checke the cells immediately outside the populated area and there's nothing in them. Tried selecting a larger area - no luck. 2) Don't seem to be any spurious spaces; £s are 'real'; all cells seem to be as they should.

Pity it's financial - rather dissuades me from postin it for others to look at!

its difficult

by that a few

I didn't know that. LO gives exactly the same results, so it is probably the file. All I do is select the dates then d/l the .xls.

Reply to
PeterC