***Rant***

Not just us then. We have two bells, one upstairs, one down, on a proper hard wired transformed from the mains set up and no knocker on a very solid wooden front door with great big brass bell push next to it. Still they insist on knocking, when they do the first thing I do on opening the door is press the doorbell and say "oh it is working, I thought it was broken when I didn't hear you ring it" That keeps them waiting for a minute before I sign for whatever. Some delivery guys even find their way around to the garden door into the lounge and knock on that where we have no chance of hearing them if we are upstairs or in the kitchen.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Idea. fix microswitch to knocker so bell sounds when people knock.

Reply to
djc

More of a quibble than a rant.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Reply to
S Viemeister

Dave Plowman (News) laid this down on his screen :

The delivery person was lying. They don't want to wait for you to answer the door. They want to tap on the door and then scurry away. They hope to escape before you open the door. Some delivery services leave the package by the door and some of them leave a note saying they tried, but none of them want to waste time waiting for you and then worse, talking to you.

So no note by the doorbell will matter. My suggestion is to place a motion sensor outside of the door which senses the approaching person. The sensor would be set to cause a sound insise like a doorbell. And the sound should be repeated outside. And then when you hear it, run like the wind to catch the person, and engage him in a long, sensless conversation. That way you can get even.

McGyver

Reply to
McGyver

Nah, electromechanically fire a tranquiliser dart...

Reply to
Adrian C

Duckwits?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Please translate.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

She Than Whom No Fairer Is.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sort of like SWMBO, only nicer?

Reply to
Tim Streater

To update my original rant, I am on hold with BT as I type on my 15th telephone call attempting to get my original fax line number re-instated as promised on Monday. Every time I call I am told the previous person has no placed an order for it to be done.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

How do I contact a local manager? I can't see any contact details on their website.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

You will have to dig deep and maybe piece snippets of information from many sources together. Even paper ones (shock horror!) like The Phone Book or phone bill to get local/regional address information.

Remember BT is split up into different "companies", BT Openreach do wires and holes in ground etc. BT Retail sell services to customers, BT Opeerate do 21CN/data stuff (I think), BT Wholesale sell services to resellers.

I think you want BT Retail but BT Openreach are probably the ones who actually type the commands into the system to map numbers to lines. Might be worth raising it as a fault (Number Unobtainable when called or what ever), that would bring BT Openreach into the loop.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , MuddyMike scribeth thus

Well when they have reduced you to a dribblin wreck, then phone up Zen and get them to take the lines over as advised;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

I almost certainly will, but I need to get the number back first, it seems the nice Irish lady who called me back this morning following a "chat" session has kicked an arse or two as the original dept manager has just called me promising to sort it out.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Or have the knocker operate a deadfall trap so the courier's body trips a doorbell.

Reply to
grimly4