ramp for disability buggy.

:

Is this go-chair one of those infernal 3 or 5 wheel jobs? 4 wheelers should have no difficulty with stability on much steeper than 1:12. If the user grasps basic physics, is alert and can lean a bit they can greatly exceed 1:6.

A half inch step should work on 6" wheels, an inch would give the motor a run for its money.

Used mobility scooters are a lot less than 1000, but I presume the money has been spent.

NT

Reply to
NT

It depends on where the wheels are, it is a 4 wheel device but with narrow track and short wheelbase to aid manoeuvre in confined spaces.

a useful document on the stability of such devices.

Most scooters will climb 2" quite easily, the limit is usually the anti tip wheels on the back, not the motor power.

Reply to
Peter Parry

That suggests that a careful ramp design, with channels in it (to allow the anti-rip wheels to go below the main ramp surface level) might work. It'd allow a scooter to tip just a little more than usual...

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Won't that demand a lot of skill fromt he driver, though? Or are you thinking of a channel to capture the wheels and take control - rather like the system for guided buses?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

A couple of photos of the doorway and area to be negotiated would be an enormous help. How about it Bill?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I think you and I must be familiar with quite different models.

NT

Reply to
NT

It would depend on the doorway width and the position & size of the anti-tip wheels vv the ordinary wheels. If there's only, say, a couple of inches clearance for the buggy to go through a door, then making the channels eg 3" wide would mean they'd be in line with the anti-tips if the rider was going to manage the doorway.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Well OK, but it's just a normal house door with concrete outside stretching in all directions. But I will take a few pics tomorrow.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright