Raising the roof

I plan to increase the height of my garage by about 6' to build an extra storey, I'll be re-using the existing roof as it is, instead of dismantling the whole thing and then rebuilding I thought I might jack the roof up and slip some extra wall underneath, what do you think?

Reply to
David

How big is it, and what's it made of?

Reply to
Grunff

I must admit it is the sort of thing I would try. It depends on construction, but it could be done using triangulated acrow props (or they will tip sideways) and lifting a foot or so at a time, then propping or building underneath. Weather might be a problem, one good blow of wind and you have a disaster, safety of you while lifting is a big thought too.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Its a double garage so about 6M x 5M, trussed rafters with tiles

Reply to
David

don't forget the planning permission(??) needed if the apex or the ridge of the roof is going over 4m

IanJH

Reply to
IanJH

Me too! I think I'd put guy ropes to make sure it doesn't tip and only lift an inch or two all round at a time. Let's face it, whole houses have been moved from one site to another, particularly in the States. This roof job's a doddle compared to that. Yes, the more I think about it the more I like it.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

In article , IanJH writes

Sorted with planning and building control. its just the doing that's the issue

Reply to
David

In article , BigWallop writes

I could try a compromise and strip the tiles off and jack the rest but then its questionable whether its worth it when a complete strip down wouldn't be much more work.

Reply to
David

Assuming the roof is simply sitting on the walls at the moment, it must be structurally stiff enough already so that tying the A frames together along the two long wall lines ought in principle to make the whole thing rigid enough to lift.

Even then, you would probably need Acro props at the foot of both sides of each frame, plus some way of preventing the whole shebang from moving off sideways. It would mean quite a lot of materials, a great deal of care, and probably take a surprisingly long time, but I'm sure it's both possible and could be done safely.

But, given the above and the fact that even though the risk of losing the whole lot might be small, the costs of doing so would be very high, I'd be inclined to dismantle it, build up the walls and put it together again on the new structure.

Interesting experiment though, I'd like to see some piccies if you do try the jacking approach (successfully or not!).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Nelson

I don't really see why not. Hydraulic lifters are available. Would need a few load spreading beams to give stability. I've seen a whole house lifted and transported in the US, so a roof ought to be easy! I'd expect the ridge tiles to come unstuck and need recementing. Anyway if it did fall down, you just say the appropriate words and put it back together again! It does have the advantage of being able to work in the dry. Wind loading might be a stability problem. Is it tied into any other roof/wall? Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Seems like the obvious route is to jack only one side up, add brickwork, let it set, then jack other side, add brickwork, and walk it up like that. I assume you'd need to attach a very hefty beam along the length of the thing first so that all the frames are lifted, no use just lifting some of them.

Should work OK, I'd try that anyhow. Guarantees are a whole nother matter tho. Better make sure you got hard hats on!

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton