Raising a door frame

The reason why that 1" framing is there is because...its a fire barrier reducer.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The3rd Earl Of Derby

You will find you get used to it after a few knocks and learn to duck - depending on how thick your head is! I've lived in a house where nearly all the doors were too low.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

Having moved into a new house I find that the internal doors see

slightly low, about 6'4" from the ground to the lowest part of th frame. I am 6'4 and 1/2" tall. So....

I think the problem would be solved if just the head-clipping part o the door frame was removed. By this I mean part of the frame which th door closes against (sorry don't know technical term), which is abou

1" wide, should be removed along the top edge of the door. The sam part of the frame up either side of the door would be left there, s the door would still be able to close against it. Some light & soun might them come through at the top, but I don't mind this.

My question is how to go about this?

Looking at it, I think it's probably a separate length of wood glued i place across the top of the door frame, and bevelled with the simila lengths on either side of the door frame. Could be messy to remove, a the glue will quite likely pull away some of the remaining door frame. Need to finish up with a smooth surface to re-paint.

I am going to get a couple of carpenters in to quote but would b grateful for any prior advice & ideas

-- Dale

Reply to
Dale

If I were that tall I'd certainly raise the door height. The main problem would be if there is a lintel in the wall above the door that is supporting anything. If it was a timber and plasterboard wall like I have, the lintel could be raised. It would be very easy to screw a piece of wood a couple of inches high on top of the doors so there would be no gap, and that would keep the fire resistance.

Reply to
Nick

Thud. Ow.

"Door stop".

It's probably just nailed on. Look at the top section # ____________ #|____________| #| | | |

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It's probably just nailed on so saw through each end and bash out. You have to be satisfied that you're not contradicting any fire requirements though. What you might be able to do is remove all the door woodwork and replace it an inch or so higher. I'm 6'5 and imagine that in your house they installed the doors without accounting for the flooring thickness or wooden floors were added afterwards.

Reply to
adder1969