rainwater drainage

Simple to get guttering and down-pipes you would think ? Push-fit OK since no airtightness etc required.

1.So, B&Q have marley stuff, but appears to be from 2 different ranges, the downpipes have a widened socket on one end and two bulges. Just decorative ? Nothing fits in these ends. OK you can cut them off !
  1. Screwfix (floplast stuff) unfortunately only sell large packs of guttering and downpipe, too much for this job.
  2. Wickes. The guttering seals connect with "easy-to-use" "wing clips". Unfortunately they need such force to connect, I would surely fall off the ladder ! And connecting the end-stop just bends the plastic gutter and you cannot apply enough leverage. Hopeless.
  3. So I may end up at B&Q, but any idea what the bulges on the marley down-pipes are for. No reference to them on the marley website. Cast- iron look-alike.

Haven't tried builders merchants or local plumbers merchant yet, due to their opening hours. Wanted to avoid mail-order this time due to delivery logistics (being in when they come !)

This was to be the simplest little job. And I'm not an idiot (says I). Wot's going on ? ;-<

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I'd guess with the Marley stuff, one end fits into the next one and the bulges are decorative and possibly stop the brackets slipping. Quite often the fittings have reduced diameter sections and do fit into plain pipe so yes you can cut the fancy bit off OR cut a short piece of pipe and fit it inside the fancy bit and put the fitting inside that.

any help?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Nowt wrong with the Wickes stuff. Get the gutter in properly & click - you must be a wimp :-)

OK, I have used waterpump pliers before now, but it clicks in OK.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Using pliers, perhaps. Its just that when I was pushing in the end cap, it looked like the plastic on the "corner" was about to break ! There is perhaps a faulty batch ?! I'd like to see a demonstration of fitting the end cap. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I've used Marley stuff with the decorative bulges and I'm pretty damn sure the straight end of a pipe fits into the bulges end. At least I think I would have remembered if it wasn't simple when trying to replace a 3 section down pipe on the end of the house with the wind threatening to blow me off the ladder...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ah, so fittings with a smaller diameter push-fit inside the normal pipe cross-section, and the normal cross-section push-fits inside the bulgy end. That makes sense. So you don't need to use a jointing piece if using who pipe lengths. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Assuming my memory is working correctly, yes.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice