rainwater collecting from gutters

i can find nothing on drainage at

have a downpipe hanging loose, whilst fixing it i would like to add rainwater collecting, can i fit some kind of valve high up so that water can come down a pipe to a rainwater collecter but if theres loads of rain it will overflow down the existing pipe?

Will the new rainwater colecting pipe be able to be buried and to go round the house and then up again to almost the height it started at?

any links to help me please?

[george]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

Search for "rain diverters"

Reply to
Huge

Don't neglect checking both your local council and water authority, they will often supply complete systems at a subsidised price.

Reply to
Broadback

That's what I have, but I think a better way may be to run all the water into the water butt, and have it overflow down the original soakaway. That would mean the water in the butt gets continually changed when you aren't using it, including skimming off anything floating on the surface.

OTOH, I've never had it go stagnent, even with months of storage in the warm summer, and passing all the water through the butt would increase rate of sediment build-up in the bottom.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

But beware. I fitted one, and the next ting water was pissing out of it.

Leaves caught in it and blocked it..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

WICKES HAVE: Rain Diverter £5.37 so i'll get one and see what it is,, and read the instructions, I dont thing it'd be enough for flushing toilets etc which is what i am aiming towards...

maybe move the drainpipe away from the house walls so that if it does block up and overflow it wont wet the foundations?

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

I fitted some mesh in the top of the downpipe to filter that out.

Reply to
Huge

meow2222

is there a link there from >

?

how closely linked are the two?

i'm a bit confused..

george (dicegeorge)

that would leave water pissing down the house wall in my case. So many leaves and so much water on that downpipe.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I took the adjacent end cap off the gutter, so if the filter blocks, the rainwater runs out of the end, avoiding it running down the walls and warning me that the filter is blocked. Fortunately, the gutter concerned is on ground floor eaves, so easy to get at.

Reply to
Huge

Now I am too - those are both the same website.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

ok im very confused -

the other website i meant to mention was

sssorry

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)