Raeburn to replace boiler/hob/oven

which presumably also get an annual service.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think they are the same company these days..

OIve seen folks with both sorts. The raeburn is a little smaller.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would never have a coal range again.

They really are crap.

In fact sold fuel all round is a total pain in the arse to get a decent modulated heat output from. Its always too hot or too cold unless you have a 24x7 fireman to do the 'little and often' trick.

Ive had experience of coal agas - two of em and I hate em with a passion.

If that's all there is, they are better than nothing. But they are worse than any other alternative.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed. In spades...

Having also had an oil Stanley, I found that quite good. Liked the oven a lot. But even then I wouldn't want to have to have it firing up for hot water and cooking in the hot months so, yet again, need alternatives as well.

Reply to
polygonum

You actually get hot months down your way?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, they are the same company, but with different targets. The Aga doesn't have CH as a standard ability, whereas most of the Rayburns do, as well as the size difference.

Reply to
Davey

A very large number of replies here are wrong.

A modern oil-fired, PRESSURE JET Rayburn will behave in exactly the same wa y as any other modern, oil-fired central, heating boiler.

It also contains a second, completely independent pressure-jet burner that heats the ovens and hotplate.

You get a digital timeclock, just like any other central heating system - e xcept it has two channels and you can program the ovens/hotplates to come o n (or not) as you need.

When the timeclocks say "OFF" the oil-consumed/heat-output is ZERO. Not 600W. Not "my house/caravan/whatever was a hell-hole in summer" ZERO. Just like any other central heating boiler.

These people are talking about old EVAPORATIVE-BURNER Aga/Rayburns. Which work more like hulking great parafin heaters. Aga/Rayburn stopped making those many years ago.

I have a Rayburn 480K. Annual service, by the appointed Rayburn engineer (Adam Ivory - North Norfo lk/South Lincs area - recommended), last month, cost £150.

Reply to
dom

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" writes

That is very interesting.

Presumably, though, the unit itself gives off heat in summer, if used just for heating hot water, so do you switch to an electric immersion heater during the summer?

Regarding cooking, is a part of that on at all times, or do you start from zero and, if so, how long does it take to reach operating temperature, both oven(s) and hot plates?

Reply to
News

I use mine for hot water in summer, there is no noticeable heat from the Ra yburn (even if you touch the top/side/front panels) - obviously the pipes t o the tank (I have a thermal store) release a little heat. Even if you plac e your hand on the flue pipe, it's very warm - not burny hot. (mine is open

-flue making use of an existing chimney - balanced flue is probably a bette r choice in most applications).

Used as a cooker, a single control turns on both the ovens and the hotplate - cold start to hot is about 15 minutes. Reasonable for an oven, very slow for a hotplate. Hard to estimate, but I would say heat containment is bett er than most ovens, better than most hobs - with the hotplate lids down, wo rse than most hobs - with the hotplate lids up.

Overall, it's a pretty damn expensive thing compared to similar capacity oi l-fired boilers. However the build quality inside and out is first class.(I hooked mine up to plumbing and electrics - and took an interest in what th e engineer was doing to the rest)

Reply to
dom

That is all very interesting. In our case, the first need is to replace the current oil boiler, which our maintenance man has advised to keep as long as possible to avoid the problems of the new required combi boilers. And replacement would only be sensible if it could go into a space currently occupied by a cupboard underneath a Calor Gas hob.

2nd need would be to replace the hob, which is as fast as any gas hob, ie it's fast. You want heat, you have it, you don't, it's gone. 3rd need would be to replace the existing fan oven, although I would strongly argue that that, along with the plate-warming ability of the Rayburn, would be the best combination. Personally, I am in favour of changing nothing, but I need facts to back up my case!
Reply to
Davey

Sounds like the largest downside for you would be the loss of the gas hob. There is no way that a Rayburn hotplate will be anywhere near it in terms of speed and convenience.

If you want to drop using calor altogether, (and assuming you're on the grid) - then an induction hob might be worth considering.

If it's a purely practical/economic decision with no other factors in the mix (e.g. domestic harmony) - then replacing the oil boiler like-for-like may be the better choice.

Reply to
dom

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" writes

Excellent and honest summary. Thank you.

Reply to
News

I agree that the loss of the hob would be bad. And neither of us like induction hobs. Since the only reason for this discussion is because SWMBO wants her missing space back, where the boiler is currently located, (and blocks access to a cupboard), I will do everything I can to change nothing! She has a common romantic view of AGAs and Rayburns, without considering the actual living requirements.

And of course, since I am merely the male, I would get the blame for any subsequent failures of operation!

But I am grateful for the information, it does explain what is available much more accurately than what the brochures promise.

Reply to
Davey

+1 Gas is instant on/off, induction also very similar. A hot plate of an Aga/Raeburn is on, you regulate the heat into a pan by position. Which presumably means that for low levels of heat one needs to frequently stir or shuffle the pan about so different bits of base get heat. You can have several pans on one hot plate though.

You can't get away from the thermal mass problem either. OK it have heat from cold to cooking in a few tens of minutes but you have still heated up a significant thermal mass, which will cool down later. In the winter reducing the space heating bill a bit, in the summer it just makes the kitchen warmer.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

[Snippage]

+2

We have just returned from a week away on the NE Yorks coast and the house we rented (*) had a "Falcon" (+) electric range cooker. The hob was induction. When we were considering refitting our kitchen, we thought about getting an induction hob, but I didn't want to get one without trying it - I'm a big fan of gas, and I loathe electric resistance hobs with a passion.

Induction is dead good. I'd definitely have one of those. The range bit, not so sure about. Having to grovel on the floor to get at the grill & oven is not my idea of fun.

(*

- very nice!)

(+ Part of the Aga group. As are Fired Earth and Divertimenti.)

Reply to
Huge

What don't you like about induction hobs?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

For a hob, providing you can move a medium sized cylinder (13kg, 19kg), calor isn't a bad choice. 2x cylinders, autochangeover valve, easy - much less hassle than the massive permanent tanks.

Reply to
Clive George

Having recently stayed away twice - once getting a gas hob, the second time getting a solid plate electric - we were ever so happy to get home to our induction. Fast, clean, easy to control. And that is only a basic model without the fancy controls some have.

Reply to
polygonum

Which is what I have now. The driver moves them, not me.

Reply to
Davey

Can't really say, except for possible prejudice. We have always hated electric rings, and regard induction as just another version of them. maybe wrongly. I see some posts on here that say they are very good. Do you have to buy special pots and pans for them? Heaven forbid, we have enough (read: too many) already. And can you always tell that they are 'On', like a gas hob with its flames?

Reply to
Davey