Radio suitable for an older person?

Would anyone have recommendations on a radio suitable for an older person?

Requirements that are apparent to me: VHF/FM, other bands and digital not needed; at least three presets selectable by button; buttons as large as possible; on/off by button (slider switch unsuitable I think); battery and mains operated -- external transformer ('wart') okay. Data display (broadcaster indicator) would be nice; mono fine; not tiny, thinking of controls and speaker size.

Incidentally, a few years ago I bought similar spec. radios in Maplin and Boots and in each case the tuner (or sensitivity at the RF end?) was quite inadequate; ditto for the FM of a DAB radio (Red) bought in Sainsburys; DAB fine, FM useless.

Since we are in an area of marginal reception for some stations, this is probably the most important criterion. A small radio (?? make, model) does work fine in the location (Donegal, N.W. Ireland), so reception is available, but that has fiddly analogue / mechanical controls.

I have a Sony model ICF-7600DA bought nearly twenty years ago that is a reasonably close fit.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Jon C.

Reply to
jg.campbell.ng

Since this is a DIY group, how about getting a car radio (with RDS to display channel info), a car telescopic aerial, a speaker and a mains/12v power supply and mounting them all in a wooden box? That will provide several largish preset buttons for selecting stations, and should have good sensitivity. I assume that you (or someone) will be able to tune the presets for them.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I just watched a woman demonstrating a Bose radio on a shopping channel. It was selling for £448. (bloody hell!)

Daft woman was pointing the remote control straight up so the camera could see the buttons - obviously the remote beam was missing the sensor and nothing was happening - so she did what all not technical people do - she pressed the (membrane) buttons harder and eventually used her thumb nail to try and adjust the volume for the demo...........

Reply to
John

I suggest that you browse the Roberts Radio web site.

I like my Roberts digital radio which includes VHF, has presets like a car radio and gets the time from the Rugby transmitter. My only complaint is that it looses its settings if the power goes off for more than 2-3 hours. If my Freeview receiver can remember the TV stations (without a battery), then the clock radioj should be able to do the same.

Reply to
Michael Chare

What, DIY? Not me. But, continuing the lateral thinking ... a camper van might just do instead of the =A320K p.a. nursing home she is in now.

Jon C.

Reply to
jg.campbell.ng

Actually a lot of remotes will bounce IR off walls and ceilings, so no matter where you are in a normal sized room the radio, tv, cd etc will operate. I expect being in a large tv studio it was just shooting into fresh air with nothing to bounce off .

Dave

Reply to
gort

Excellent idea. Glad to have been the catalyst!

Reply to
Roger Mills

dogs danglies, brill for oldies, once set up, easy to change channel, quality product, nice mellow sound.

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

and heres one on ebay....

R.P.McMurphy

I find pointing an IF remote to the ceiling or opposite wall more effective than pointing it straight at the device. The beam reflects off the wall and does not need to be aimed exactly in the direction of the sensor. The same with remotes for a beamer, point it at the screen not the projector, more certain and no risk of poking the laser pointer in the audiences eyes if thje wrong biutton is pressed.

Reply to
djc

Thanks, that looks good. And (see earlier comment), I presume that the RF sensitivity is adequate.

Actually, as hinted by someone else, a 'micro' HIFI with a remote control would be ideal (she's a dab hand with a remote), but another carer has vetoed that on the basis of it taking up too much space (and too 'complicated'! -- for the carer).

Many thanks,

Jon C.

Reply to
jg.campbell.ng

My Bose remote control is radio, it will even operate from an adjacent room, so I am puzzled.

Reply to
Broadback

Will it get The Home Service, or possibly even "2LO Calling"

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The Creative SoundWorks Radio CD 740 is exceptonal. Even if you don't get one for your "older person" get one for yourself. I bought one after reading the reviews on the Lowestonweb site and am glad I did.

Toby Sleigh

In message , R.P.McMurphy writes

We have a Roberts R983 (once seen on the Queen's breakfast table). Does the job but..... distorts sound on high volume settings and needs re-tuning after mains power failures of even short duration. Fitting the optional batteries may overcome this problem.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It was Infra red - she was in front of the set - above it and aiming it upwards into the void of a studio. She claimed it was "Credit Card Sized" but it was bigger.

I agree that many I/R Controls will reflect around the room - but not all - and not around the voids of a studio. Better press harder on the button and dig my nail in!

Reply to
John

That's probably why the Queen got rid of it.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

comes up on ebay occasionally.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You'll notice that their colour supplement ads never quote a price. Even on eBay they sell for £££

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The message from Tony Bryer contains these words:

They seem to go for around the £200 mark on eBay, though I notice there's a bloke in China selling "used" Bose Wave systems who seems to have an inexhaustable supply - all used. Fishy!

Reply to
Guy King