Radio for an OAP

fair enough, I only did it with old radios that were far from fussy. You could maybe solve that by going from C to sub-C cells.

What's the guarantee on =A330 worth, =A35 or 6? Its a simple job if one has basic electronics skills.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

In message , Ian Jackson writes

Whether or not you could find this out before buying though I don't know.

I've a small-ish Sony Dab/FM radiop that runs on 4xAA cells, it's perfectly happy running on NiMH cells (For I'd guess about 10 hours)

Reply to
chris French

The digital decoder and display driver uses more power than an FM or AM demodulator. Also, the technology isn't as mature as that for FM and AM.

/Mode=Cynic Power drain will come down in the future, probably just in time for the Powers That Be to introduce a new format which is incompatible with the current hardware. Mode/

Reply to
John Williamson

I run a Roberts radio on a 7 cell Nicad pack originally designed for model aircraft and car usage . Its perfect .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Andy Dingley writes

Thanks to everyone, and I'll look at what Sony's there are. I'm not sure about battery only.

The lady in question has, shall we say, individual needs. MP3's are out of the question, as is anything involving batteries and a separate charger.

I try not to fire up the soldering iron these days, but that's not the issue. Anything electrical that goes into that house has to be safe in itself and as designed.

Reply to
Bill

Sounds a sensible approach - however, I get the impression that a radio with DAB / FM / MW has potential for getting messed up and can't understand why the station choice cannot be rationalised onto one type.

Reply to
John

I'm sure it will be cheaper, and probably less battery hungry.

:-(

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Is there any arrangement whereby the batteries could be swapped by a carer periodically? Or even two radios and swap them about with the battery change being done elsewhere?

Or a fixed mains radio and extension loudspeakers?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I've not been following the thread in detail ....

The Pure radios tend to have VHF/FM as well as DAB, the Evoke models can be fitted with an internal battery pack which does recharge when running on mains (avoid the old NiMH version they get cooked, the newer LiPo ones seem fine) they have a 3.5mm stereo jack where you could connect an external cassette deck

Still sounds like a it might confuse the user, but I can't see you getting all the requirements in one box.

Reply to
Andy Burns