Radio equipment

In message , pamela writes

Excellent. I browsed the VLC site and noted they are looking into casting direct from the media player, which will be useful.

Reply to
News

I've seen old posts where people describe how they used the original Chromecast for TV to cast audio by adapting the device's HDMI output to provide an audio signal for their stereo.

Seems a good idea but no longer sensible now the audio Chromecast has become avaialble. Makes me think how much more you get with Chromecast for TV for the same price as the audio version.

By the way, I see Currys have a logo on their two web pages advertising the Chromecast dongles which says "When they're gone, they're gone". I wonder what that's all about.

Reply to
pamela

It's on the pages of lots of items, it's just a bit of trickcyclery to induce fear of missing out panic and make you press the buy button. BTW I bought my Chromecast 2 from Currys as they were the first to have it online, it arrive after two days and was up and running easily, I like the new dangly format.

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

Although DropBox is a cloud, the DropBox folder exists on any computer on which you have it installed which are then synchronised to the cloud. If you have, as we do, two PCs, a laptop, a Mac, two iPhones and two iPads this is invaluable. A change on any one of those is sent to the DropBox cloud which then synchronises all the other kit so that everything remains in step.

If DropBox goes bust, then all the local kit has everything synchronised.

If all the local kit is destroyed, then DropBox still has everything.

It costs $99 a year and is worth it for the amount of data we're storing.

Reply to
Alan White

Has anyone found a way of controlling Drop box permissions to prevent accidental deletion/modification of files?

I presume it's controlled by permissions:

- User 1 owns the folder and has full permissions

- User 1 shares the folder (or a subset of the folders) with User 2 and gives him restricted permission

But is there a way of controlling what restricted permissions are given to User 2?

I'd like to give him permission to add new files but prevent him from deleting or modifying existing files.

As things stand, I could never use my Dropbox folder to store the only copy of a file because of the risk that if another user with write permission happened to delete the file from their Dropbox folder it would delete it from mine.

It would be nice if Windows could be configured to link specific files from the real location to the Dropbox folder such that Dropbox always saw the latest version of the "real" file but never had permission to delete/modify it by accident.

I tend to keep a master copy elsewhere (in a location that gets backed up to a local backup drive by SyncToy) and manually copy the file to Dropbox whenever I make a change to it. That means I always have the latest version of a file on my phone, but safe in the knowledge that I can never accidently trash the master copy. A "one way link" from real to Dropbox would remove the need to make a manual update.

Reply to
NY

I don't think you can do that unless you use separate folders, some with edit permissions and some without.

You can put it in a shared folder without edit permissions then only you can update it while others can read it.

Its the dropbox app that needs to do this, its not a function of windows like it is with onedrive on 8.1 and 10.

I do a oneway sync with my Synology NAS to onedrive as a backup. Its a function of the synology software not of onedrive.

Reply to
dennis