Radio controlled clock question

Page 2 of 4

Well , I have one which I got in Germany years ago, which uses the Frankfurt time signal, which must be at least 500 miles away. It works fine and I have no problem with the signal - you must be in some sort of faraday cage
--
geoff

So do I - a Phillips. It has the best alarm time setting interface I've ever used (a speed sensitive wheel) and has only one problem - it's resolutely accurate to the squillisecond, only an hour ahead. There's no way to move it off the German time zone !

It would be an incredible Faraday cage to stop 60kHz (my house is infamously proof against GHz radio, but nothing is proof against this sort of LW), but it is sensitive to all manner of interference from electrical gear. Try leaving it on the top floor of the house, until it synchronises.

of
Everything is ok and working fine now. I checked at around 7pm last night and it had updated itself to the correct time, so it must have been due to the maintenance work on the transmitter. As previously mentioned, the maintenance work is scheduled to complete on the 20th Oct so there will probably be more downtime until them. Thanks for all the replies.
Mark Atherton wrote:

60Khz I believe.
very low frequency.I believe it is continuous, it

The MSF transmitter at Rugby provides a time signal service on a very low (60kHz) frequency from a highly accurate atomic clock.
IIRC, the time data are transmitted once per minute so it should not take more than a couple of minutes for the clock to synchronise. It's up to the clock to decide how it uses the signal, and it may choose to compare successive time codes before changing anything to reduce the risk that interference affects the setting.
The signal is susceptible to local interference and the level may be low if you are a long way away. However it should be OK over most of the UK.
You could try taking the clock outside on the side of the house that faces in the direction of Rugby and you could also try rotating the clock. Depending on the design, the built in antenna may be directional.
It may simply be that the problem is in your first sentence ("cheap" and "Littlewoods") and you have a second dud clock.....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mark
are the minutes correct?......if so you may need to manually adjust for time zone.

No, it just starts from the default 12 o'clock settings. I even tried manually adjusting the clock to close to the right time to give it a helping hand but it still refuses to budge on its own.

I have got an Oregon Scientific MSF alarm clock, and it will only pick up MSF in certain areas of the house. My bedside table is a place it does not work! 10cm either way and it works. I would try leaving it in different places in the house, you will probably find the place you have it now is in an MSF "dead spot" or there is too much interference there.
--
Tim Mitchell

I'll give it till tomorrow and get a refund if now't happens.
On 17 Oct 2003, Mark wrote

Sounds wise.
Given the "outages" link in my other post and my clock's failure to reset itself, it would be interesting to know if anyone has successfully had a radio-controlled clock reset itself since around 9 this morning.
--
Cheers,
Harvey

Yes thanks for the link. Looks like problems solved. Still no update but I rang the number on the NPL site and a recorded message confirmed the MSF signal was down from 9am 6th Oct until 9am 20th Oct, but will be working overnight whenever possible.
On 17 Oct 2003, Mark wrote

Excellent -- I hope mine updates as well!
--
Cheers,
Harvey

but
HELP, I've now encountered another problem! I decided to swap my RC clock for a slightly better model which also displays the temperature. However, the clock is now showing the time at 1 minute faster than it should be! No matter how many times the clock updates itself via the msf signal, the LCD display is always showing 1 minute fast! I first noticed this when I compared the RC clock to the time shown on BBC teletext.
The hour display and the seconds are spot on but the minute reading is fast by 1 minute! To double check I even rang the speaking clock and, sure enough, my RC clock was out by exactly 1 minute. I tried manually setting the clock to the correct time but as soon as it goes through the update cycle it reverts back to being 1 minute fast! Anyone know what could cause this, although I suspect my RC clock must be faulty.
On 23 Oct 2003, Mark wrote
-snip-

I have no idea what might cause that, but just to eliminate the remote/silly possibility that the Rugby signal is out, I checked my RC clock against the computer (which I set over the internet from a different source) -- they're exactly aligned, so that's not it......
--
Cheers,
Harvey

Cheers for that, at least it confirms the clock must be faulty. I can only assume that it must be down to some kind of faulty calibration settings at the factory? It certainly is a weird one!

On the uk.tech.broadcast group, a few people have reported errors in the MSF transmitted time during its maintenance. Even a transmitted time 3 hours out!
--
Tim Mitchell

Mark wrote:

Is it possible that the clock face is slightly mis-aligned?
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:14:52 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

Or the minute hand. They are normall only a push on fit to the drive shaft, no splines or other locating device.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

It sounded like a digital display to me, not an analogue.
--
Cheers,
Harvey

Yes it was a digital display. I took it back today and changed it for another model and thankfully everything appears to be spot on. I did however buy a cheap RC wall clock for the kitchen which has an analogue display. It was strange to see the fingers zapping round on their own as I inserted the battery. The only problem is there is a little play in the minute finger, so at quarter past the hour it looks a minute fast and at quarter to the hour it looks a minute slow. Still, can't grumble.