Radio Antenna on street lights

In five years, there will be another new way to save money, so these will all have to be ripped out and replaced Or they'll discover that the LED lamps make people blind, or....

Reply to
John Williamson

They can use wet string but they don't.

Reply to
dennis

They used to waste a lot of power, they were a LDR and a bi-metallic strip with a heater.

Reply to
dennis

On Saturday 14 December 2013 16:56 dennis@home wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Tim Watts

I found a document from Surrey County Council specifying the lighting system to be the Harvard 'LeafNut' range. Interesting info here:

Dave W

That's what the meter uses to send data to the display, it doesn't mean you can send stuff to the meter.

Reply to
dennis

Nearest street lights to here are a mile and a half away. On a clear moonless night the stars and milky way are stunning and provide enough light to move about safely. Moon light is more than enough. There is a bit of light pollution from Carlisle 30 miles away if you know where to look but Teeside is the worst at over 40 miles, I pity those that can only see a few of the brightest stars due to light pollution.

Different matter on a thick cloudy night, it is dark, absolutely dark, disturbingly dark, that's why I have a torch. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If it's cloudly aka dark enough for the light to come on, the light proably does need to be on. That's certainly the case from my observations.

Must admit I'm having trouble with this switching off when it's darl lark. *If* there is a need for street lighting there is a need full stop. Why should some onegoing to work at 0300 do so without the "benefit" of street lighting when some one else going to work at 0700 does?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ah the real reason: Accountants.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Saturday 14 December 2013 23:08 dennis@home wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Justification?

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Sunday 15 December 2013 00:18 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I remember a camping trip to Cape Wrath 20 years ago. It was so unpoluted, as you say, the arms of the Milky Way were distinct and it was like seeing into infinity with clarity.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Wireless M-Bus for one ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think the ones in Edinburgh are part of the BusTracker system.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

Yep, it's like that here. Nearest street light's at least four-five miles away with a big hill in the way. The nearest small city is 20 miles away, and contributes no light pollution at all. Friends from London just stand and stare in amazement.

Reply to
Adrian

Justify what? Why do you think they want to know what mobile phone signals are like where you live before they will fit a smart meter?

Reply to
dennis

So there is a good reason to be up in them thar hills then Dave;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Geoff Pearson scribeth thus

I doubt they need to do that most bus tracker systems work up in Band 3

174 to 230 odd MHz and use GPS for the location service and then transmit that info back to the bus stops on either Band 3 or GSM of some flavour...

Sometimes even on 459 odd MHz licence exempt services.. Like the car parks around here..

One here with the aerial some 40 deg off beam;!..

tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

Any new systems going in now Tony tend to use DMR and send GPS info back on the radio channel. We have equipped a few bus companies and also a lot of traffic warden schemes.

Reply to
Bill

Weve just got these outside our house and our Wifi is now limited to the room where the router is instead of the whole house :S

Reply to
inkeysdownham

These things here?.

If there're seemingly causing you wi-fi problems then I'd look elsewhere for the cause of that problem as they work at very low power around the

868 MHz band waay below that used for wi-fi applications....

Scroll down a bit..

Reply to
tony sayer