radio 4 costing the earth / germany energy policy

but that's nothing to do with it being 'doubled and adding seals to existing windows is far far cheaper.

Of course if the whole casement is rotted then it makes sense to replace with DG as its only marginally more expensive.

The point being that as with boiler replacement, its only effective when the old unit is essentially beyond economic repair.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Perhaps I should have been clearer. The above represents the present state of affairs. Not all were done with the aim of saving money, but that is irrelevant really. I was making the point that I don't need to spend whatever they are charging for the survey.

I have a solid ground floor, PVCu windows and doors with adequate sealing, and carpets throughout.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Other than the loft insulation, all of these are only realistically worth doing if you are having to replace the items anyway. Don't rip out decent windows for DG, replace rotten windows when they need to be replaced, and _at_that_point_ replace them with DG, etc.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

How often do you suggest replacing cavities?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The condensing boiler might not offer any payback, especially if you zone the heating and fit proper controls. However you can't easily avoid getting one these days. Remember the payback on heating gets less if you insulate and control.

Reply to
dennis

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

I would sat it's probably a lot cheaper, purely from the point of view that all the manufacturing is set up for DG.

As I tell all my customers who ask - "Keep that old profile going there, boy"

Reply to
geoff

I've not had any since I was about 12 ;)

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Probably as well replacing the whole microwave oven.

Reply to
polygonum

Do you want a plaque?

Reply to