Radiators on the same wall as windows - any reason for this?

Hi, I have a question about the position of radiators in a house

In the houses where I have noticed, radiators always seem to be on the wall where the window is - i.e. under the window.

I have only really noticed this in old (victorian) terraced houses (3 or 4 come to mind).

Is there a reason for this.

I the previous houses I have lived in the rads where all on the window walls. I have recently moved into my house (100 yr old terraced) and some of the rads are on walls where there are no windows. The only reason I can think why they are mostly on windowed walls is for practical reasons. In that you would not really want to put anything else on/near the wall (TV,Sofa or other furniture).

I am finding the layout of the room a bit awkward because of this. Two wall are effectively taken up (one with the window andonw with the rad), so I am thinking of moving them

But is there some other (other than room layout reasons) why rads are on the same wall as windows?

Thanks

Bhupesh

Reply to
bp

"bp" wrote

Putting radiators close to windows makes sense in that drafts are warmed before reaching room occupants. As you have noted, putting rads on other-than-window walls seriously affects layout options.

The most usual reason for putting rads on non-window walls is ease of installation. In a standard semi for instance a hallway rad will be back to back with a living room wall, so easier to stick living room rad there rather than run pipes to window location. You'll most likely find this cheap-skate approach on retro fit heating systems installed on price only.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I've always understood this to be the reason. However with modern double glazed windows this is not so important. Having been in the curtain trade, I've found rads on window walls a bloody nuisance. Very often customers wanted full lenght curtains, but couldn't have them because the curtains would block the heat from the rad. Even more ridiculous was where the top of the rad was in line with the window sill, meaning the curtains couldn't cover the window properly without draping on the rad! If you're having rads fitted either don't have them on window walls or if you do make sure the tops are low enough for the curtains to fit properly. Many central heating installers, bedroom furniture and kitchen fitters don't take into account people might need curtains on their windows!

Reply to
fido

The this page in the wiki

Ed Sirett

bp explained on 01/03/2007 :

The idea is that air in contact with a window will cool and decend, causing a cold down draft which then spills along the floor. Put a radiator under the window and it counteracts the cold down draft. Warmed air will then rise up the window, travel up to the ceiling then fall down the opposite inner wall - providing a reasonably even temperature throughout the room.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

"fido" wrote

Why would anyone want full height curtains to cover a half height window? My daughter has done this in her bedroom and it looks so naff but then she's a scatty teenager!

When I moved into my current place, one lounge radiator was fitted so tight under the window cill that there was zero air flow from the finned back face.

What narks me is that someone at some time has actually done this (yes, an obvious statement)! Was it a plumber, a heating engineer or a DIY bodger? Who knows? Whoever it was, he (or she) cannot have understood the fundamentals of what they were doing!

Ah, but at that time the transgressor (great word!) didn't have the advantages of google and usenet, so maybe there's a little more defense for ill informed practice.

OK breakdown over.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

In addition to the temperature distribution reasons others have given, you will always get "pattern staining" (dark streaks on the wall above the radiators) when they are mounted on a plain wall. A radiator shelf helps, but may not appeal visually, and you will still get marks at either end of it.

I suppose if you're a real d-i-y enthusiast, you'll decorate the room so frequently that it doesn't matter.

Reply to
Autolycus

where I have noticed, radiators always seem to be on the

Please reconsider your use of the word "always". None of our downstairs radiators are under windows. In two of the reception rooms the windows themselves are full height so it would not be possible. In the kitchen the sink is in the way. There is no staining of any kind. Nor do we eally have a problem planning furniture around them.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I spent much time thinking about this in my 18C cottage. Existing rad was on side wall behind door. Having read a lot, I decided to put a new rad under the window - it was the best place aesthetically, functionally and decided it could do no harm

I think it has been successful. Since these are single glazed sash windows we do get a draught through them. This is much more comfortable now the radiator is there. Also, when I was researching it some suggested it could reduce condensation also (since this forms when humid air meets a very cold surface). I haven't quite bought that argument yet, BUT the condensation on the window has reduced since installing the window. (However we have also plastered with lime and opened up a chimney!!)

I would therefore suggest if it is preferable to put the rad under a window, do so. (But you do need a good gap between top of rad and window.) However if you have double glazing, or prefer the rad elsewhere there is little reason to put the rad under the window.

Not quite sure what you mean by half height, but full length curtains DO look better in certain houses. For example I have a window about

70cm from floor and about 50 below ceiling. This looks so much better now we have full length curtains.
Reply to
abaker

Also you can't tell what size the window is when the full length curtains are closed. Among other things, curtains are part of the interior design of the room and many people prefer long curtains. If you don't, then so what? You have to live with whatever you choose, but it's nice to be able to choose and not be constrained by inconsiderate central heating engineers.

Reply to
fido

OK, since you asked so politely:

add the word "eventually" after "always".

and, if you really insist, the qualifier "ime" before "always".

Reply to
Autolycus

That's better ;-) "IME" I can accept. Just remember that not evryone shares your experiences.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

On 2 Mar 2007 04:36:22 -0800 someone who may be "fido" wrote this:-

Inconsiderate central heating installers are the ones who don't put radiators under the windows, especially if the windows are single glazed. They save themselves a little trouble at the expense of giving the room occupants to poor temperature gradients until the heating system is replaced.

Reply to
David Hansen

Arrrrrrr.

The radiators under the windows will counteract the cold convection air currents tumbling down the windows (as above). But the most noticeable thing is that, if you should put the radiators on the internal wall, then the ascending warm convection air currents from the radiator COMPLEMENT the convection cycle; the convection cycle would then be driven by both the cold glazing and the hot radiator.

The result is that you can get a really spectacular cold draught pouring off the glazing, blowing across the floor and ascending the internal wall, like an invisible conveyor belt. People, especially women, are most sensitive to cold draughts at ankle level. I've seen this with storey height single glazing in steel frames; people were regularly bending down studying the windows sills, trying to spot the (non-existant) gaps where the cold draught was blowing in, seemingly from outside.

The effect is less pronounced with modern double glazing & insulated walls.

You do get more heat losses with the rads on external walls, due to local heating of the structure. It is more comfortable though.

Reply to
Aidan

My living room radiator is only 1 cm below the sill - and I am fed up having curtains covering the rads. That said, after 20 years, I've seen no evidence whatsoever for pattern staining - it seems if you have crap walls then you will suffer the consequences. MY walls are brick - no plasterboard at all.

Reply to
tester

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. I can now se that the heating in my house was done on the cheap (not by me - it was there when I moved in). Most of the rads are on either side of that wall as noted by one of the posters above. Once I read this it all made sense (ie. why the radiators where placed where they were).

Since it really does not matter I will be moving each to under the window as that really is the best layout for my rooms

Thanks very much for the info

Bhupesh

Reply to
bp