Radiators On or Off?

Hello All

Should I turn unused room radiators (TRV) off to save money? I always thought that this is the most economical thing to do, however recently I had some women at BG harping on about it not being economical and trying to get me to ring some number who would advise me about energy efficiency. What is the most economical? I have 3 bedrooms that are never used and thought heating these would just be a waste, am I missing something here?

TIA

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

There is a theory - that is bollocks - thats its cheeper to keep a room wharm 100% of the time, than it is to heat it, and let it cool when its unused.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

You will save heating bills by not heating them.

However, you might cause other problems. These rooms would then be the cold spots in the house, and there could be a tendancy for them to form condensation and get damp. To avoid this, you will need enough heating to keep all surfaces in the room above the dewpoint, and/or have them well ventilated to the outside and closed off to the higher levels of moisture in the house air.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

| In article , | snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com writes: | > Hello All | > | > Should I turn unused room radiators (TRV) off to save money? I always | > thought that this is the most economical thing to do, however recently | > I had some women at BG harping on about it not being economical and | > trying to get me to ring some number who would advise me about energy | > efficiency. What is the most economical? | > I have 3 bedrooms that are never used and thought heating these would | > just be a waste, am I missing something here? | | You will save heating bills by not heating them. | | However, you might cause other problems. These rooms would then | be the cold spots in the house, and there could be a tendancy | for them to form condensation and get damp. To avoid this, you | will need enough heating to keep all surfaces in the room above | the dewpoint, and/or have them well ventilated to the outside | and closed off to the higher levels of moisture in the house | air.

Just noticed that OP said (TRV) ?Thermostatic Room Valve? in which case turning the thermostatic valves *down* could keep the rooms warm enough to prevent condensation, while saving money.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Ok cranking the TRVs down it is. Cheers.........

Reply to
r.rain

Bit of a random thought, but if I had a room in a typical house with 1 or 2 outside walls, and I then closed the door and opened the windows up, I would end up with outside inside, and the remainder of the house would have several more effective outside walls as a result.

I suppose an answer is: don't let the unheated rooms get too cold. It's not good damp-wise anyway.

Reply to
John Laird

I am put in this situation whenever our son pays us a visit.

He turns off the radiator and opens the window in the bedroom that he sleeps in. This results in the room getting cold and this cold can be felt in the room below it.

I would go with the flow and just turn down the rad temp a bit. Not too much though.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Stick the awkward bugger in the garage and keep your house warm.

Reply to
Matt

So insulate the floor.

Reply to
Rob Morley

In practice run them at frost settings or a little above. i.e aim for a room temp in the 5-10C region.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher