Radiators leaking.

Can anyone help?

We moved into our house about seven years ago, just after getting a new oil-fired CH system installed.

Until last year all was well, then our L/R radiator spring a leak. We replaced it but since then another three have done likewise, all about

2/3 months apart.

We had inhibitor added after the second but it doesn't seem to have slowed the leaks down.

Can anyone please advise on a cause/fix. From reading previous posts we may need to replace all the rads and completely flush out the system, or will it be even more complicated/expensive than that?

Thanks, George

Reply to
Gtowns

"Inhibitor" is to inhibit corrosion - not leaks. You need a leak sealer fluid to seal leaks. Worth a try, perhaps.

JK

Reply to
John Kemph

It sounds as though you are on a mission to replace all of the CH radiators. If one fails then the likelihood is that the radiator has rusted from the inside - because no-one put inhibitor in. All radiators are likely to be similarly affected. It's like tyres on your car, when one is down to the limit it invariably requires multiple tyres to be replaced (though of course front and back might wear at different rates).

In my view trying to fix this using some sort of leak sealant would be similar to applying elastoplast to a broken leg.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

I would bet that it is taking in oxygen or fresh water somehow, i.e., pumping over, a leak, F&E tank incorrectly set up.

Is it a sealed system or has it got a F&E tank? You need to find & rectify the cause and flush the corrosion products out the system.

Reply to
Aidan

Thanks for the replies.

It does have an expansion tank which I now fear may be the problem.

We have an amazingly small attic which means that, even though it is very close to the rafters, it is probably too low, or so I've been told. It is kept covered but there seems to be some condensation; would this lead to it taking in the oxygen/fresh water?

Is it possible then that the condensation is rising up, hitting the rafters, and getting back into the tank somehow, and if so what would my alternatives be on moving the tank, bearing in mind the limitations of space i.e. does it have to be high, does it have to be up so high etc.

Also, please explain "pumping over" as it sounds like a (hopefully) less expensive possibility.

Thanks again. George

Reply to
Gtowns