Radiators in series - good or bad?

I'm pricing up radiators right now - and there is a very good deal on " radiator packs" in the Stelrad Softline range.

Bascially you choose whatever you want up to a "total btu" figure

Downside is maximum length of any rad (in this deal) is 1200mm, and in some locations I need something a good bit bigger.

So - how practical is it to run two rads in series - i.e. straight horizontal copper pipe out of the first and into the second, with trv and lockshield at the respective further ends?

I figure it would only cost me two threaded male compression fittings (and bit of pipe) to jump between the two rads- and have the two function as one.

Any pitfalls here?

Reply to
dom

no big deal. Historic CH systems often had *all* the rads in series

NT

Reply to
NT

I don't know how historic you're getting here. I've not come across any such. Even single-pipe systems don't put the radiators in series: each rad has a bypass pipe in parallel with it, and the rad+bypass combinations are in series with each other. This is quite different to what the OP is asking about, if you think about it.

Reply to
YAPH

snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com brought next idea :

I cannot think of any serious ones....

The flow might be very slightly less, due to the extra restriction and the second radiator from the flow side will run a little cooler, due to the water having lost some of its heat in the first one.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If you link at top and bottom, then it's in effect exactly one radiator. I've seen that done to make a radiator folded around a bay window.

However, it's generally better to have multiple separated heat sources in rooms which require a higher heat input to give more even heating, so why not take advantage of the extra radiators by separating them?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My bathroom is heated by three smallish towel radiators ganged together exactly as you describe. Works fine; I treat them as a single radiator.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon