Radiators - Hot at the top, Cold on the bottom

I have a problem with my radiators.
They're Hot at the top, Cold on the bottom (Therefore it isn't air, which would cause the top of the radiator to be cold & the bottom hot) I've blead the radiators, and they are all filled with water.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Sludge?

Hi,
It could be sludge at the bottom of the Rads or they may need balancing. The FAQ has great advice for both these things...
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/contents.html
Mike

Does this apply to all the radiators or just a couple, probably downstairs.
If its the latter, then its probably corrosion from the inside of your system, collecting in the bottom of the radiators. This can be cleaned through by having a 'power flush' done by the professionals, or by getting a mate and isolating each radiator thats affected, taking it off the wall and giving it a good wash through with plenty of water While you are there you should drain the system and refill, using a corrosion inhibitor additive.
I have a similar problem at the moment, but am thinking of waiting til spring to sort it, as I dont really want to be without my heating for too long.

SLUDGE !
also a possibility is slow water flow...i.e. hot water dribbles in at one end rises to the top and heats the top up before slowly cooling and exiting cold fru the outlet. try turning the pump speed up or turning other rads down so this one has priority.
Steve

"R P McMurphey" <> wrote

Sounds like your posting too ;-)
Cheers,
Paul.
I like top posting...it makes sense. more sense than bottom posting...however daft the system is, generally I will bottom post...except in one shot answers like this was supposed to be.
Steve

one

Really?
A. Top-posters. Q. What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/news/doc/so1036.txt http://fmf.fwn.rug.nl/~anton/topposting.html http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g.mccaughan/g/remarks/uquote.html . http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_chr0.htm http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_stv0.htm http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/nquote.html http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting.html http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost http://www.html-faq.com/faq.php?clue=topposting http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt http://www.jsiinc.com/newsgroup_document.htm http://www.malibutelecom.fi/yucca/usenet/brox.html http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html http://www.newsreaders.com / http://www.planefacts.ndirect.co.uk/group/advice / http://www.plig.net/nnq/nquote.html http://www.star-one.org.uk/computer/format.htm http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html#s3 http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html
Get your OE fixed here; http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/quotefix.php
Huge wrote:

That link didn't work for me..
This one does though
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix /
or just
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software /
for the list of software
I have just installed it and it works like a dream.... no more manual deleting or accidental top-posting for me
Phil S.

[42 lines snipped]

Thanks, I'll amend my notes accordingly. The b*gger must have moved his files!

You're welcome, although all I do is publicise it. I don't even *have* OE.
manoman wrote:

Have you discovered the joys of coloured quotes, smileys that look like smileys :) ;) , underlining, boldtype etc yet?
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /