Radiators heating through returns when HW on...

Hello, I replaced the radiators and pipework on the first floor of my house a few weeks ago, however some rads heat through the return when the HW is on.

I have a boiler at the opposite end of the house on ground floor which has a feed up to the 3 way valve by the cylinder, which then returns out with the rad returns joining in two locations just before the drop down back to the boiler. The downstairs rads return also comes up next to the return and feed and joins the above return. Making sense? I followed the original layout but needed to change that because of this but it still occurs.

The return comes from the cylinder back to the boiler so where should I join the return from the rads? Is it helping that 3 rads connect to one run then to the cylinder return with one seperate rad joining at the same section within 5 inches? Space doesn't allow me to connect it to the rad return easily...

This is probably a nightmare for anyone to help with due to my garbled explanation (I do have a diagram if anyone wants it) so any help is really appreciated with how I should redesign this?

A- Return from cylinder to boiler (drops down to ground floor) B- Radiator Return joining 3 rads each heat when HW is on C- B joins A D- D joins A (4th radiator which joins cylinder return seperately, doesn't heat with HW) E- Return from downstairs rads joins A (Doesn't heat from HW)

|--- Rad --------------------------------------Rad | | | A C |D |--------------E

----------------------------------------------------------|-----------------|---------- Rad ------------- |

----------------------------------------------------------|------------------------- | --------------Rad | B | Cylinder Boiler

Should I try to connect D to B so all rads are on same return then connect to A as it is?

Many thanks for any help that you can give.

Jamie

Reply to
jamiep

jamiep wrote: ... snipped

I couldn't understand the pic/description but, if you can't common the returns in an organised way put non-return valves in the heating circuit to prevent the reverse flow.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
jamiep

----------------------------------------------------------|-----------------|----------

----------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------

You need a plumber to look at it Jamie.

Reply to
noelogara

Hello,

Thanks for your advice guys.

The diagram got a bit squashed when posting so wont make any sense!

The rads from bathroom, bed 1, bed 2 are connected to one pipe which in turn connects to the return from the cylinder to the boiler, bed 3 connects to the cylinder return seperately approx 4 inches from the other rad connections and isn't affected. The downstairs rads return also comes upstairs and joins the cylinder return and that isn't affected other than normal convection.

I don't think I'm going to fix this as I've already changed the pipe layout once and it's getting costly so I may go with the non return valve on the return to the rads

Thanks,

Jamie

Dave wrote:

Reply to