radiators converting to metric ??

Im not sure if this is just a rant or Im seeking advice :)

but one of my "old" radiators pinholed recently and Ive been trying to work out how best to fix it, the problem is the radiator itself doesnt match any "modern" sizes as Id guess its imperial along with all the fittings/valves that went with it, as they dont seem that compatible with their "modern" push fit counterparts.

the thing is how do you go about switching over to metric sizes, without simply tearing the whole thing to pieces and starting again.

I know you can get little size adjustement bits, probably exactly for this purpose, but some of the gap sizes seem to be small, some could be quite large, (Im assuming if one radiator has gone the rest of similar vintage might not be far behind following) its just I cant imagine not having to adjust the position of some of the pipes, which doesnt strike me as an easy to do job when theyre in situ.

is there an easy fix ?

clive

Reply to
Clive Stonebridge

You can buy radiator valve extension sleeves which are adjustable (just slide them, they are on a rubber seal) allows adjustment of approx

0-4cm, if you fit two sleeves (one each side) you will obvisiously get twice the adjustment allowing you to fit a rad upto 8cm smaller. You shouldn't have any trouble fitting metric rad valves to 1/2" copper pipe.
Reply to
H-S

One of the few good uses for a bending spring.

First, however, see what you're aiming at.

If you cut the pipes slightly below floor level, you can anneal the tube where needed, bend it 'till it's dead on, and use an end feed coupling to join to existing, and other end straight into the valve.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

fittings/valves

"modern" push

Clive,

I know this is really a bodge, but 21 years ago one of my radiators also pinholed on Christmas Eve just as the Mother in Law was arriving ! We had only very recently moved into the house. As an emergancy measure I took it off, carefully cleaned up the area around the pinhole, and did a wiped joint over it with lead solder (it was on the back surface). I had some Fernox which I had intended to put in incase the previous owner hadn't, so I dosed the tank. I confess that that radiator is STILL installed and working !!!!!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson