Radiators

Does anyone know how to calculate the output of:

a) Hospital type rads b) Old style panel rads, (their the ones without fins)

I guess it will be proportional to the area, but apart from that!!!!

Thanks. jaycee

Reply to
jaycee

You can only find old data sheets and go from there, scaling as appropriate

Reply to
Andy Hall

I don't know about (a), but I can give some approx figures for (b) - based on the calculations which I did in the 1960's for my previous house!

At that time, I was using 182 BTU/Hr per square foot, based on a 100 degF difference between mean radiator temperature and room temperature.

If my calculations are correct, that translates into about 573 watts per M^2 for a delta T of 55 degC - based on the *total* (both sides) area of the radiator.

On that basis, a radiator measuring 1000 x 600 (total area 1.2 M^2) would produce about 688 watts - compared with about 1100 watts produced by a modern finned radiator of the same size.

A delta T of 55 corresponds to flow/return temperatures of 80/70 and a room temperature of 20. For any other delta T value, the radiator output needs to be scaled up or down accordingly - slightly non linearly, but linear is ok for a first approximation.

Reply to
Roger Mills (aka Set Square)