Radiators

Hi All I have a big radiator in my living 1100 x 600, I need a double radiator to replace it because I have made a though room, and there is not much heat coming from it, even though its on. So when I replace it with a double. What is the procedure in replacing the radiator and will there be allot of mess to be had. I also want to put a 600 x 500 radiator from it, it is going not far from the other radiator as welli presume that the little radiator will run off the big one, will there be any mess from fitting that one as well.

What would be an average price to do the work. I live in I/Pool, any idea would be appreciated

Stephen

Reply to
STEPHEN

But is it getting good and hot? If not, it may just be a balancing problem rather than needing a bigger radiator. Have you calculated the heat losses of your through room, and compared them with the output of the existing radiator?

The amount of mess rather depends on the skill of the person doing it - there's lots of *potential* for mess, but no real *need* for any!

If the new radiator is exactly the same size as the old one - apart from being a double - you can probably use the the existing pipework and valves without draining the system. You will, of course, have to drain the radiator itself - by turning off both valves, loosening each union (the connection between the rad tail and valve) in turn, and collecting all the water in a shallow container. You can't help spilling *some* so you need to protect the carpet and furnishings against the indelible black gunge which will come out.

Once the rad is empty, you can fully undo both unions before lifting it off the wall. Tip any remaining water into a bowl and stuff kitchen roll in the tails before carrying it outside.

You can then transfer the tails to the new rad, using PFTE tape to seal the threads. The old wall brackets may or may not fit. If not, remove them and fit new ones in the right place. Then hang the new rad, and connect up the unions, open the valves and bleed it - and Bob's your uncle! [The water connections may be slightly further from the wall than with the single rad, so you may need a *bit* of flexibility in the pipes to accommodate this - but it's usually ok.]

I also want to

That's a slightly different ball game! You will need a flow and return pipe for the new rad - and these need to be tee'd into the existing pipework at an appropriate place - so at least a partial drain-down will be needed to do this.

The whole system will need balancing when you've finished.

No idea - less than £100 for the bits - but don't know about labour charges, this is a DIY group!

Reply to
Set Square

SNIP

The extra load MIGHT overdo the boilers capability

Reply to
John