Radiator width dimension

When a radiator width is specified as 1600mm, what width is that defining? The width of the actual radiator panel or is that with space either side for the valves? Got a rather tight spot whereby 1600mm may be too wide.

Thanks, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Just the radiator. You need to allow four inches min' or six inches max' at either side, to fit valves on a basic system. But there is nothing to say you can't split this size into two or three separate radiators around the room. I take it your system has been designed for the size and use of the room, but there is nothing to say that the heat has to come from only one position in the room. Two rads' in the room, half the size of the design measurement, will give the correct heat output, but just from two different points in the room.

Two radiators facing each other can be a good system to have in a long room. The air from one rad' is lifting across the ceiling to meet the air coming from the other radiator. The room stay nice and warm throughout. One radiator at one end of the room, the air lifts to the ceiling and is cold by the time it reaches the other end of the room.

Our large room was designed for an eight foot radiator, but we split that into three X three foot radiators. One either side of the window and one just at the door. Worked perfectly for the size of room.

Then we ripped it out and went for underfloor heating instead. That made a huge difference. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks for this. Can get 1600 x 500 in there with 4" on either side. I was worried by the existing thermostatic valves which stick out sideways but the new ones I fitted upstairs are vertical and therefore 4" is fine. It's constrained on one side by the cable box which *could* be moved if it all goes wrong!

There is always another radiator in the room. It's a typical 2-up, 2-down with extension on the back with dining room & lounge knocked together so it's a big space to heat (inc. stairs to upstairs). I'm moving a huge single-panel single-convector from behind sofa - never a good place and now getting new leather sofa which definately shouldn't be against a radiator to under the window so wanted to make sure I got the same plus 20% more (always been chilly).

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

If you can (and only if) get another small rad' under your staircase. It helps keep the chill out of that area where the heat disappears upstairs. Staircases always act like chimneys.

Where you're putting the radiator under the window. Fix a shelf above it. The heat will go right to the glass if the top of the radiator is bare. A shelf, just a little wider than the radiator, will help to throw the heat away from the window and into the room. Closing curtains around the window will also stop the heat from radiating around the room, so try to keep the curtains away from the rad' if you can.

Do you think the coldest part of the room is the window area?

Reply to
BigWallop

I like the idea of a shelf - got plenty of wood down in the cellar. I could position the radiator so the curtains tuck just behind the radiator (by a couple of inches) but looking at the curtains now, I think that would destroy the nice pleated drop (and you suggested it's a bad idea). Can't totally overlook the asthetics :-) So the shelf over the top is a good idea as it will deflect the heat rising from the back towards the front of the curtains, not to the back and into the (non-double glazed) window.

Right now, don't need any heating! Just been manhandling the old sofa out the back door into the pouring rain. New one arrives tomorrow. It's going to be so neat when finished (and warm).

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson