Radiator whine...

Some time after a radiator TRV is switched to cold, it begins to whine. This is very loud. When I turn the radiator on, a bubbling noise is heard and the radiator stops whining. Radiator is bled, and there is quite a lot of air - probably from the bubbles. Radiator is again switched to cold when not required. Cycle repeats. What gives?

I'm a bit worried about draining all the pressure from my CH system if I have to bleed the radiators a lot.

Reply to
Bill

keep bleeding and repressurising. These things are not rare.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is this a new problem, or has it always done it? What make/model is the TRV - and do you know whether it's bi-direction?

Some TRVs have to be installed in a way which ensures that water flows through them in the correct direction - otherwise they are noisy. Could yours be one of these - installed the wrong way round?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I don't know - we had a new boiler put in last Christmas and all the radiators were left in place but got new TRVs. Most of the year the upstairs radiators in a lot of the rooms are switched off because the house gets heated sufficiently during the warmer summer months. I don't recall the TRV misbehaving last year - I thought it was just the fact that they had been off for a long period of time that had caused the buildup of air.

Reply to
Bill

Could be due to it being off for a while - could be that the new system is circulating water faster than before. Is TRV on Flow or return (flow gets hot first) - compare with others

Reply to
John