radiator valve problem

The radiator in the bedroom has a valve on it rated from 1 to 5. 5 is full on too hot to touch. 5 is a wee bit too warm, but if I turn it down to 4 thinking that will cool things down a bit it makes the radiator go totally cold. Something's not right but I'm not sure what. Boiler is ok as it was serviced just last week. Any ideas?

Reply to
neil leslie

Go down to Wickes or any shed and buy a cheap £4 valve and try that.

Reply to
EricP

It's not a radiator temperature knob, it's a room temperature knob. Ignore the radiator temperature, and set it to what makes the room temperature right. You might want to hang a thermometer in the room so you can see what effect it's having. The radiator may well cycle on and off or it might eventually reach a steady temperature, but that doesn't matter.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's a TRV (thermostatic radiator valve - and it's doing exactly what it's designed to do. It's not the valve which is wrong - but your understanding of how things work!

Reply to
Set Square

neil leslie formulated on Monday :

It (the valve) is a TRV, a thermostatic valve. Set it to a mid range number and see what happens to the rooms actual temperature. Turn it to a higher number if too cold, lower if too hot - ignore the temperature of the rad itself.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield