Radiator Thermostats

Has anyone any idea of how these work and what goes wrong on them? I've got one that occasionally needs a clonk with a lump hammer to open, and it's a bit irritating when you wake up in a room that seems to colder than it is outside :).

Reply to
Doki

If that is happening, then you can check to see if the pin in the valve body is free or sticking. Take off the head to do that and push the pin carefully with something flat like a piece of wood. If it's stiff, try a little silicone grease on it and operate it a few times. It will only move a few mm.

Otherwise it is the head. These are not repairable and typically have a 7 year or so lifetime. That being the case, it is time to replace it. Often it is cheaper to buy the complete valve.

Buying a good quality one such as a Drayton is well worthwhile in terms of longevity.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

They've been on a lot longer than that. I'll get it swapped I reckon. Cheers.

Reply to
Doki

OK. You might want to budget for a few more, because the chances are that others will follow. :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'll sort them when they start needing percussive maintenance :).

Reply to
Doki