Radiator removal

I have, over the years, removed many radiators and occasionally one (inlet or locksheild) will weep or drip. I usually run to my plumbing box and make something from my bits and bobs. Is there anything on the market that will screw onto the rad valve to act as a 'stop end'? There must be something but I can't find one (or two incase both sides drip!)
Thanks
John
Yes you can buy stop ends that just push on to your pipe, available at B&Q etc. They cost a couple of quid for 4. Alf.

John wrote:

A compression stop end fits on the radiator side (minus olive), so I assume a compression straight coupler with a blanking disk in would do the valve end. Being compression fittings, they are reusable.
I found a picture of a blanking disk on toolstation: http://www.toolstation.com/index.html?code"572
Screwfix don't do them, so I don't know if your local B&Q or plumbing merchants will.
Hope that helps
Bob

Used to use copper coins as blanking discs - can't remember denomination but a quick sort of a handful of change will show if any fit a compression joint. A coin behind the nut should blank it off O.K. (but beware of the crime of defacing a coin of the realm).
HTH Dave R
Bob Smith wrote:

the rad side. However, most rads out there have the older style much larger coupling. I haven't come across a gadget to stop those off.

Are the older fittings 1/2 inch BSP fittings? (The same fittings as an outside tap if I am correct). I used a connector with a 1/2 inch BSP thread on one side and a 15mm a compression joint on the other side which was connected to a piece of pipe with a push fit stop end on. It was all I had but it worked. Adam

I think you'll find it's 3/4" BSP, same as a washing machine connector (and most outside tap threads)

You are correct John, it is 3/4".
Adam

Well if it is 3/4" BSP (same as a washing machine inlet hose), then a hose could be connected to both valves, sealing both ends at once, and these hoses are available in 1.5M and 2.5M lengths, which should be enough for most radiators.
--
Gavin Gillespie
Nottingham UK
Gavin Gillespie wrote:

Now that is a good idea. I'll try it next time
3/4 Black iron cap.