Radiator panels: which one?

Radflek

or
What's the group's opinion re the better product?

I had a quick Google, and short of the myriad products available, I worked forward from the Wiki at

and decided to choose between the 2 mentioned as having some sort of approval. I was about to plump for one of them, then thought I'd get a quick view on here :-)

Any suggestions for similar products also welcome.

TIA

Reply to
Allan

Really depends on the construction of your house. And if the radiator is sited on an outer wall. These were introduced when house exterior walls had low/nil insulation installed.

If your house has modern insulation values, their effect is negligible. Especially if water temperatures are low, as is the modern tendency with condensing boilers.

Only a small percentage of the heat from a radiator is radiant anyway so the effect is fairly limited.

You can make your own up with a bit of baco foil and plywood/other insulating material glued to the wall behind the radiator.

Your money, if limited, is probably better spent on other energy reducing means.

Reply to
harry

The benefits are there - maybe 1.5C on the external wall for 9" solid brick according to this:

That particular product *might* be foam backed foil - I can't see from the site. And Lidl and/or Aldi have been selling that for a fiver a roll, often discounted in the bargain bin. I've used it on external and party wall radiators, simply because I had the rads off and it cost pennies.

So, I did it because it seemed to make common sense and it was cheap. But I couldn't see any point using it on internal wall rads.

A disadvantage is that as people stuff coats and towels down the back of radiators, the edges get scruffy.

Reply to
RJH

I put heatkeeper panels behind the bedroom radiators when I was installing the radiator zone. Made sense to do it while the wall brackets were being fitted rather than trying to slide them behind fitted radiators.

Have they made a difference? No idea as I've not witnessed the "before" effect.

I chose them because even the idea seemed to make sense, even if only from the fact it's creating a "pocket" of air between the wall and the radiator and the external wall that stays there rather than constantly changing. Sort of double glazing for the wall.

They actually look quite smart in a "modern style" way, almost like the radiator is part of the wall. I'd definitely fit them again as they are too cheap not to and far neater than dangling cardboard and tin foil.

Reply to
0345.86.86.888

From the sound of it it might be the thin aluminium foil covered 'bubble wrap' insulation.

Slight odd thing about the two company websites is they both have a grid of questions that are virtually identical.

Reply to
Chris French

celotex etc, ie foil covered PIR board.

NT