Radiator over plug socket - dangerous

We have recently had central heating fitted, and we needed one of the radiators to be in the same place as an electrical wall socket which was also recently fitted (we had the house rewired a few months back).

The plumber has placed one of the radiators over the top of the socket, so when you look down the back of the radiator you can see the socket. This obviously renders the socket useless, as you cant get anything into it. It is a small room, however, and has another 2 sockets in it so we are not worried about having 1 less socket in it.

However, we are slightly worried that the constant heat from the radiator may damage the socket and cause a fire, as the socket is still live. Anyone have any idea about whether this might be dangerous? There are a few good cms betweem the radiator and the socket.

Dave.

Reply to
dave.dixson_nospam

I am not an electrician, but I have the same situation in my house. I moved a radiator from one wall to another in my kitchen. I did this when we moved in, 8 years ago, with no problems so far. When I removed the radiator thisummer to decorate, I took the socket plate off to have a look and everything looked normal. I don't think the radiator will give off enough heat to cause any problems, others may be able to advice you (and me!!better.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Why do you think it's dangerous? Water at 80-odd degrees in the radiator isn't going to raise the socket and wiring *anywhere near* the temperature required for spontaneous combustion.

Reply to
Set Square

Perfectly safe. The materials used for sockets can stand more heat than even boiling water produces.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)