radiator next to friedge freezer

There is one slot in my kitchen to put a fridge/freezer and on the side of it is a radiator.

Would turning the radiator on in the kitchen damage the fridge or cause it to upset it thermostat or doodahs ?

Reply to
Pete

It is possible that a single compressor FF will be affected but in any case you would be better off keeping them apart on efficiency grounds.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Pete ( snipped-for-privacy@host.com) wibbled on Thursday 24 February 2011 12:33:

Depending on whether all the rad's hot air is trapped round the back on the fridge's condensor coil, it will almost certainly:

a) Make the fridge not able to cool correctly

b) Make the fridge run flat out trying.

Damage might be conceivable if the back gets really cooked due to lack of alternative ventilation.

The fridge case is fairly well insulated so whilst making the case warm will be less than ideal, it probably won't kill it.

Can you put a panel between the radiator and the fridge and is there enough ventilation round the back of the fridge to allow the coil to cool via other paths?

Otherwise, it might be simpler just to move the radiator if you can or replace it with a wall or under unit fan convector. If the new rad/fan unit can be close to the old rad, moving will be a fairly simple exercise - you can use pipe freezer spray to allow enough time to install ballvalves then a bit of copper or plastic (very easy) along to a new position.

The fan version would need a power supply, but only a small amount - could be plugged in to a 13A socket as a quick fix.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Fridge is designed to give adequate cooling at 20C ambient. When one side's at 50C, the fridge will use more energy and might fail to maintain a safe temp. The latter can be checked with a thermometer.

If this is the only workable layout, you could perhaps add a thin layer of insulation between fridge & rad, and fit a small fan behind the rad to increase output from its rear side.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Do you need the radiator in the kitchen? Often the boiler, and the kitchen appliances, mean that the kitchen radiator isn't necessary.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In 18 years in this house we've used the kitchen radiator once, during the cold spell before Xmas. Otherwise I always wish for a better extraction system, not more heating!

Reply to
Huge

I was staying in some self-catering group accommodation last weekend. There was a 'gas safety system' fitted which turned off the gas supply if you did not have both the generously sized extractor system and a 'supply fan' (400 x200 grille with a fan behind it blowing air from outside into the kitchen) turned on. You needed a fleece and wooly hat to work in the kitchen, even when the catering size oven was on! Getting back on topic (sort of) - my parents had the fridge freezer next to the free standing cooker with no very obvious problems - a radiator behind might be more of a problem if you were using it but I'd agree with the othe posters - my kitchen radiator has never been turned on. Mike

Reply to
docholliday

Pete :

Our fridge/freezer has been working like that for fourteen years and counting, no problem. I have taken precautions, though. There's a sheet of expanded polystyrene between the side of the f/f and the radiator. And there's another sheet on top of that one, leaning over so that its top rests against the wall. As a result the back half of the radiator isn't heating the room very well, but the front half is.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Probably not, but it'll most likely cripple the efficiency.

Reply to
Skipweasel

You need 15"-20" (over a foot) between a freezer/fridge & a radiator. The appliance would have to work much harder, it'd be marked dthr electrical wires would possibly melt. It's a big No No! Sorry - but there are rules in a kitchen for a reason - mainly fire hazards. Fridges & freezers aren't to be put near any heat, ie. cookers & not in direct sunlight either. Ok?

Reply to
duncanh91

Balls

Reply to
newshound

newshound was thinking very hard :

+2 lol
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

+3.
Reply to
tabbypurr

And what prompted this? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well not entirely, but I suspect the fridge would be working harder and also last less long. It would be stupid to have a radiator in such a place. You could of course turn it off and lag the pipes nearby since the thing might well be of little use in that position in any case.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

An 8 year old message

"There is one slot in my kitchen to put a fridge/freezer and on the side of it is a radiator. Would turning the radiator on in the kitchen damage the fridge or cause it to upset it thermostat or doodahs?"

Reply to
Andy Burns

replying to Mike Barnes, Ace sewing machine repairs wrote: How long have you had the ff beside the radiator and has the polystyrene worked .please and thank you.

Reply to
Ace sewing machine repairs