Radiator heat

So.

My living room radiator acting wired.

It have two valves one on each side (no trv) we use to open and close one valve in order to get more or less heat. Accidently some one touch the other valve (the one you not spouse to touch) and from than the radiator become colder. It is still warm but not burning as it uses to be before.

I try to play with it but I cant get it to work as it was I was thinking that if both sides are open all the way it should give you to most high heat. What am I doing rung? Do I need to close the out valve to create a pressure in the radiator in order to get more heat? or do I need to open them both all the way in order to get more heat I want that radiator to be on full blast.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Golan

Assuming that there are no other problems such as air in that radiator, or a blockage, and this problem is caused by the lock shield valve (out valve) being disturbed, you could try the following. Open the radiator control valve (in valve) fully, turn the central heating on, close the lock shield valve fully, then open it a quarter of a turn. Leave for 5 minutes then check the radiator. If it isn't working, open the lock shield valve another quarter of a turn. Keep repeating this until the radiator gets hot. If it doesn't get hot then something else is wrong. You can also try this: turn all the other radiators off by their control valve (do not touch their lock shield valve) and se if that one radiator gets hot. If it doesn't, there may be air or a blockage, if it does then the whole system may need balancing or there is some other problem. Is it possible that someone has opened the lock shield valves on any of the other radiators as that could unbalance the system. This is a diy answer, not from a plumber.

Reply to
Codswallop

Hi.

I did nit touch ant other radiators is the system. We keep most of them close. Only the bathroom always on and the living room when we sit there. So if I open the LSV all the way will I get the max heat from the radiator? Or do I need to close it little bit to "hold" the water in?

Reply to
Golan

Yes, if you open the LSV you will reduce the resistance to the flow of water through that radiator so more water will flow through but that may mean less pressure to the other radiator(s). You have not said how many radiators you have in total but if you only have two radiators in use on a typical 6 to 8 radiator system then if the pump and motorised valves are working properly, and there are no blockages due to sludge, the two radiators should be hot if their control valves and lock shield valves are open. Closing a LSV will increase the resistance to water flow in that radiator and mean more water available for the other radiators(s). I have assumed a non-pressurised system.

Reply to
Codswallop

I will give more info.

Pressurised system worcester24CDi combi

4 radiators we use only 2. The bath radiator is ok but the living room as I sad worm not burning hot. Another thing. From yesterday the boiler pump making noise "clink clink" noise like it have air in it. When I lower the boiler temperature it is quieter.
Reply to
Golan

I have no knowledge of pressurised systems. I don't like the sound of your pump. I suggest you re-post with as much info as possible.

Reply to
Codswallop

I think the problem is some how with the pressure in the system. I did top up the system because I have a leek in one of the valves. The pressure bar is on 1.6 and only 2 radiators are on (living room and bathroom) when I open the hall radiator and turn the boiler off and than on again all the radiators become really hot. Than when I close the hall radiator the system go cold again and the radiators are worm but not burning hot. I have a filing that the pressure is to high and I should release some of it out. Any thoughts about that?

And can any one just tell my for my general knowledge, if both side of the radiator fully open should the radiator work in full blast? Or do I need to close the LSV in order to create a pressure in the radiator the squeeze more heat?

Reply to
Golan

I have no knowledge of pressurised systems.

Yes, if this radiator is the one closest to the pump. But if this radiator is somewhere in the middle, or is the one farthest from the pump, the effect of opening or closing the lock shield valve might depend on how all the radiators are balanced, especially the earlier ones on the circuit, and whether their control valves are open or closed. The lock shield valves alter the resistance to water flow in each radiator to compensate for the fact that the radiators are at varying distances from the pump, so that the radiators are balanced. In order for radiators to work properly the pump needs to be working, the system needs to be free of air and sludge, and the radiators need to be balanced.

Reply to
Codswallop