Radiator bleed valve problems

I have several radiators where the bleed valves are jammed (corrosion?). I had to take one to a metal worker where he sealed off the old valve and installed a new one, rather a PITA. Any ideas that I could try to free them? With the original problem I tried to force it and b*ggered it up.

Reply to
Broadback

If they are standard rads with a bsp tapping on each corner then assuming the water entry exit at at the bottom, the 'unused ' tapping can have a complete new bleed valve fitted leaving the seized one in situ. Available from toolsatan and other likely suspects

67p each

Otherwise drain to a few inches below the bleed valve level apply lots of heat to crack the paint/rust/crap that is jamming it and wind it out

- usually the square drive end of a socket set will fit well enough to get lots of leverage on it.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Presumably your mean the little square headed brass bit has seized. Just remove the whole plug and bleed screw, and replace.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If it also has a hole in the middle to accomodate the bleed screw. The tool used for fitting radiator tails normally has a square drive with recess for fitting/removing the plugs.

Dave Liquorice

Is the bleed screw itself part of a larger assembly which screws into the end of the radiator, or does it screw into a small hole tapped directly into the radiator?

If the former, you can easily replace the whole assembly. If the latter, it's more difficult!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks for all the tips. It is a fairly old ( circus 2000)so the valve screws directly into the radiator, also there is only 2 entry/exit points at the bottom of the radiator, so it looks as though I will have try the heat method.

Reply to
Broadback