Radiator bleed screw

Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can get a brass radiator bleed screw. This is for the welded, wall-facing bleed hole, see attached picture:

head is 5mm and I should think the thread is 3mm. Any ideas? I contacted a company who sent me 5mm head, but also 5mm thread, so no good.

Thanks, Kevin

Reply to
Treadmill

No disrespect to you but that pic is shit .LOL.....Do you know who made the rads or who supplied them?.

Did you have a look at

Is the screw fitted straight in to the radiator or is there a seperate plug that the screw fits in to ..I'm not familiar with those rads with the bleed screws at the back and hope I never am

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Yeah sorry about that, unfortunately I only have a s**te digital camera.

The screw is fitted straight into the rad. There is no seperate plug at all, if there was, I'd been replacing that part.... If only! :(

Any ideas where I can get these damn screws from. The head is 5mm, but the thread is smaller. The screw is probably about 15mm long. Can't get a picture of it as I'd have to drain one of the rads to do it.

Reply to
Treadmill

You might have to bite the bullet and take out the screw to get a similar one by comparing them ...You could try posting on The

or the
Forums in the Plumbing sections if you don't know who supplied or made the rads . Somebody must have done this before I'd imagine ..it's just finding them .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Reply to
Roger Mills

Why? It's at the *top* isn't it? If you turn off both valves[1] you can remove the screw without losing any water.

[1] Assuming the system has been balanced, count how many turns it takes to close the lockshield so that you can open it to the same position when you've finished.
Reply to
Roger Mills

OK, obviously got a good ribbing for that shot. After turning the lockshield, I've now sprung a slow leek, so now need a replacement valve. :(

Here's what the screw actually looks like, this is a very good picture:

's exactly 15mm long and the head is 5mm, not sure about the thread, but it's not the same as the head.

Any ideas where I meant be able to get this from? I did try my local plumbing centre and no luck there.

Reply to
Treadmill

Does the new one you got look any different from this?

Cicero

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Yes, it is different the one shown in your pic, the thread is too thick.

I had a supplier that sent me that very one and it does not fit. Thank you for that though. :)

Any other ideas? The link picture is now updated with a very close-up shot of the actual one. It's a good picture as well.

Reply to
Treadmill

No you don't - you just need to re-pack the gland.

It looks the same as those in some of my radiators. It's probably a metric thread of some sort, since 2BA is a close fit.

If you buy an 1/8" air vent from the likes of BES (Part# 6916 for the princely sum of 14p), chances are that the pin in the middle will be the right bit. You can probably afford to throw the rest away.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Aww, I missed it. B-)

Where is the leak from? Don't leeks go mushy if you cook them slowly?

If it's from around the spindle just tighten the gland nut a bit.

As to the bleed screw it looks fairly standard to me. I guess the problem is the damage to the tip. If all else fails try spining it in a drill and holding a bit of fine abrasive paper backed by something hard to remove the damage.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Did the one you got sent come on it's own or was it with the big brass plug cos that looks like the ones they use although if I had been asked I wdn't have thought they were15mm long but they might be . .

EDIT .I have found an old one which has a square head of 5mm and 15mm long but the thread is slightly less depending on whetehr you speak of the inner or outer part of the thread .If you want i can post it if u e-mail me an address Stuart

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Your original looks pretty ancient so you might be looking at a new radiator. If the bleed screw is leaking (probably the tapered seating is grooved) then you *might* be able to grind it in very gently using car valve grinding paste; you would have to be very careful not to get any of the grinding paste into the radiator.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

And if u buy a new rad don't get one with the bleed valve at the back.

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Excellent! That 3.5mm (1/8") thread is probably exactly the right size. I'll give that a try. :)

Thank you, Roger. Never thought about a screw as part of an existing air vent part.

Reply to
Treadmill

What do the 1/8" ,1/4" , and 1/2" dimensions refer to ..anyone know

I was meaning that in my first post when I asked if you had looked at the BES website which is why I asked if the screw u referred to was screwed directly in to the rad or was part of a bigger brass plug .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

You haven't quite understood, but it doesn't really matter. The '1/8' refers to the outer thread of the fitting, which is 1/8" BSP[1] - whose actual OD is nearer 10mm - but that has a removeable bleed screw in the middle, which may (hopefully!) fit your radiator.

[1] British Standard Pipe sizes are based on the nominal bore of iron pipe - so the threads on the outside are always larger than the apparent size (considerably so for small pipes)
Reply to
Roger Mills

I would suggest that you buy one of each size because they look very much like the one I pictured for you - look at the top of my picture for the main part. You might still be disappointed but they're cheap enough to discard if they don't fit. Best of luck anyway.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Well, I've order a few from BES, so I'm hoping it's the right ones.... fingers crossed.

If not, anyone want some spares?! lol

Reply to
Treadmill

Isn't that the way they are all moving to now, or was it just a fad that is going away?

Reply to
Mike