Radiant ceiling heater for bathroom?

Recommendations anyone for a radiant ceiling heater for a small bathroom?

Reply to
Ian

I prefer downflow fan heaters, which I've fitted in all bathrooms I've had. Whilst the original 25 year old Dimplex one is still working fine, it seems to be impossible to buy ones which last longer than 2-3 years nowadays.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Some here

do need a fairly high ceiling though or the top of your head will get 'suntanned'

Owain

Reply to
Owain

school has these in most areas of the school, they don't run on electricity an are connected to the boilers.

Pretty good, and they warm all the tables, chairs, objects etc which everyone finds nice.

Reply to
David

bottom one looks like a PAT test failure to me. It looks like a silica glass tube encased heating element (at least, the 1960's version my grandfather had was), which counts as a live part for PAT test purposes, and the grill doesn't look like it provides IP2X protection (fingers can't touch live parts).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes. But it's not a portable appliance.

It's CE marked so I presume it complies with all the required standards, but the manufacturer's instructions are very emphatic about putting it out of reach - and of course putting out of reach isn't a permissible means of safety in a domestic environment.

I had a look at Dimplex Studio wall-mount electric fires for comparison, and their grille does look a lot more closely-gapped than the ceiling heater.

But then what sort of ficko shoves their fingers into a ceiling- mounted electric fire?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Doesn't only apply to portable appliances. Proper name is In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment. It's the tester which is the portable bit, which reflects that testing should be carried out at the location of use of the appliance, rather than appliances being brought to a testing location, which would prevent some of the checks which should be carried out.

;-)

I don't think there's a requirement that new appliances conform to the Code of Practice for In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment. For example, most new domestic extension leads fail because the conductors are too small for the cable length, and there's no general expectation that appliances in domestic use will be subject to In-Service Inspection and Testing. However, some rented houses are, which is something you need to bear in mind if you fit something which is going to fail a test.

Indeed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel