Radiant bar heaters ?

My mother's elderly (she is too!) radiant bar heater has packed in and she is looking for a replacement, which I can't find ! Fan heater - "noisy"; halogen heater - "nasty glare". She only used the bar heater to take the chill off her sitting room in the summer so I'm looking for something that is about 1kw, and discrete!

Any suggestions please ? Thanks

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Convector heater or oil filled radiator.

John

Reply to
John

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:39:30 -0700 someone who may be robgraham wrote this:-

one example, though 2kW seems to be the minimum in the range.

is another example.

As has been suggested, another type of heater may be better, such as an oil filled radiator. If she has gas then a gas fire would be better.

Best of all would be improving wall and loft insulation which would make things better in winter and summer. There are many grants and schemes for this.

Reply to
David Hansen

Infra red?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why have radiant bar heaters disappeared from almost all shops? As the OP says, they are very difficult to find.

Reply to
Dann

A naked incandescent wire carrying mains current, with little or no shielding?

My God. It must make the H&S bods break out in a sweat or run for the bog

Don't forget Common Sense was buried some time ago. :)

Reply to
EricP

I know, lets have a pair of them and a spring loaded gismo to carry a slice of flimsy bread. And we'll provide a drawer full of metal forks nearby in case it ever jams.

Reply to
Graham

All too easy to poke something onto the live element. But infra red types where the element is covered in special glass are still available.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I just wondered what happened to cause the disappearance of these heaters when they did. Presumably it was not because of some legislation, because as David Hansen shows, they seem to be still available, though not in your local high street shop.

Was it a manufacturers? voluntary agreement? A finger can easily touch the element in a toaster, for example, but the wire guard can prevent a finger from touching the element in a radiant bar heater. What was the event that caused the heaters to suddenly go after they had been popular for so many years, but let the more dangerous toasters stay? As I said, I just wondered.

Dann.

Reply to
Dann

Long wavelength IR heater - the sort with flat white ceramic plates. They don't glow at all, so get one with a neon or there's a risk of forgetting it's switched on!

They're also quite efficient, as the long IR heats people better and air less well than the glowing red short-IR ones. Unlike an oil radiator, they're also rapid to warm up.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I can't remember seeing one on sale for ages.

For a start a toaster is normally situated where toddlers etc can't get at it. And it will usually have switched itself off when people poke about in it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

for it. It's exactly what my Mum wants - all she wants is something to make the room **seem** warmer on summer evenings. The house is well insulated and all that is wanted is something to give instant heat at the touch of a switch. She has gas CH and in the winter burns logs on the sitting room fire.

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 01:18:08 -0700 someone who may be robgraham wrote this:-

I happened to know the name of the company. There used to be many firms making electric heaters, but there seem to be fewer these days.

The hardware shop where I live can get hold of almost anything, often at a lower price than big orange sheds or online, but if you don't have a similar shop nearby choice is limited.

Reply to
David Hansen