Radial Tile Cutter

Hi,

Looking to buy a new "wet" diamond tile cutter.

Have seen a number of radial tile cutters where the blade cuts the static tile from above as apposed to sliding the tile over a static blade.

Screwfix Example

anybody got any experience with this type of cutter and its relative pro's/con's to the conventional wet cutter.

I do a fair amount of tiling with both natural stone and ceramic tiles.

Thanks

Andy

Reply to
Andy

The message from "Andy" contains these words:

I used one once - very good for cutting more awkward tiles - lumpy ones, that sort of thing. You can get the tile well held down and then the blade moves over it so there's no trouble getting the cut where you want it.

Reply to
Guy King

Thats the real McCoy that is.

If its worth it to you, go for it.

Way more control than the cheapo I have.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wonder how well the "water pump" works

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I've no experience of this type myself but I would worry about a few things. How long will the pump work as it's pumping an abrasive mixture of tile slurry in water? The rollers in the overhead carriage need to be as precise as possible to ensure a straight cut. This doesn't sit well with working in an atmosphere of tile cuttings whether wet or dry. The fewer moving parts there are on a machine, the more accurate it is likely to be. This has a moving carriage so there's an area for flexing. I've looked at a number of radial arm saws and many suffer from a lack of rigidity. The speed of cutting is generally relted to motor power. The two designs are much the same so I would expect the same performance. In the undercut type, the water is mostly below the table so it drains well. This type pumps it to the top so look for good drainage.

John

Reply to
John

Yes - to me it seems like a solution looking for a problem. A 'normal' wet tile cutter gives a plenty accurate enough cut at 1/3rd of the price - and is easier to store too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)