Radial saws?

Hi All,

I hope to be cutting up a batch of 4x2" and I thought I'd treat myself to one of the basic compound / mitre saws as sold by Argos / Homebase / Screwfix (~£35).

but feel one of the ones that move out over a wider span (Radial saw?) might be more useful long-term (laminate flooring, workshop shelves etc).

However, there seems to be a big price jump from said 'basic' saws to anything that slides (over double from what I've found so far) so it starts being something that may need a bit more consideration if I'm to go that way.

So, based on the fact that I'm more into metalwork / machinery than woodwork these days (so it's probably not going to see *loads* of use or fancy work), are there any useable but cheap offerings out there and if so what please?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Don't think there's any such thing as a cheap radial arm saw. Any play in the bearings and they're worse than useless.

Reply to
stuart noble

Not necessarily - just the more sophisticated sliders.

There are two reasons for sliding: wider cuts, and also half-depth cuts to make halved joints.

If you're just butting things and only need a chop action, then a purely swinging chop saw with a decent size blade will probably do you right, and for less money.

If you're making bigger things and want to cut dados, look for a real radial arm saw (bargains S/H) which is great at doing this, but so inflexible that many buy them and get rid in disappointment (they don't replace a cabinet saw).

In the middle ground, yes, sliders cost a whole lot more. Oddly not Aldi's though, which makes a great on-site carpentry saw and cost fivepence ha'penny. If you do plan to cut joints with these though, you're looking at a usable depth stop and some precision (probably a Makita with the top slide bars) and yes, it'll cost.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I thought that might be a weakness (unless engineered out etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Hmm, I couldn't find much under 80 quid. Seems a lot to add a couple of sliders etc?

Ok.

Well, that's all I'm intending now but then that's all it would do (but I guess better do that well than try to do more badly).

OK.

Are they always there or only pop up now and again do you know?

Hmm ok. I think I'll go for one of the basic saws then, thanks. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Andy Dingley formulated on Saturday :

...and the first time you need to cut something a little wider, you will find yourself paying a second time for a sliding mitre saw. I bought a very capable one from Argos a few months ago for around £80 - which was discussed in this ng. I remain delighted with it and it cuts much better (much more rigid) than either of my two none sliders.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

And / or getting the panel / jig / saber / circular saw out? ;-)

I did a search before I asked and nothing came up here under 'radial' (I haven't used the Google groups thing).

Ok thanks. I've just had a quick look on Argos's site and can't see it now? Was it an end of line do you know?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

T i m was thinking very hard :

You are looking for the wrong thing - look for 'sliding mitre saw'.

Not when I bought it, though I suspect their stock will vary quite quickly.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield laid this down on his screen :

Harry Bloomfield

I've got one of those and, as I have said on earlier occasions, I'm very impressed with build quality and precision. I would certainly recommend it. You could pay several times the price for an equivalent 'famous brand' model. I've screwed mine to a board with a batten underneath - so that it can easily be clamped in my B&D Workmate.

The only negatives are that the dust collection bag doesn't collect any dust, and my laser seems to have given up - but I can manage quite well without that!

Reply to
Roger Mills

T i m

Reply to
T i m

with an 8" blade they may not be able to do anything other than straight cuts - i.e. they won't be able to do a mitre in 4x2.

These are often called Sliding Compound Mitre Saws (SCMS). A radial arm saw is a saw that dangles down from an overhead arm.

Indeed. The mechanism is more complex, and needs to be of a fairly decent quality if its going to work well and last more than five minutes.

With light use, one of the shed cheapies will probably do you. The usual problem with many is the slide mechanism becomes sloppy or graunchy with age and use.

Another solution is to get a decent one second hand... the Makita LS1013 is rated by many as one of the best SCMS about - and you can usually get these on ebay for 160 - 200.

Getting a decent stand with slide out supports makes them far easier to use for chopping up long lengths of timber as well - i.e. when doing framing / studwork etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

>>Yes, I've got one of those and, as I have said on earlier occasions, I'm

Thanks Roger.

It looks a bit big from a storage pov though (I mean that sort of thing in general etc). Is it?

I think unless I was paying proper money I'd envisage any of those sorts of 'extras' as just that (either they don't work, don't work well or don't last etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Graunchy?

Reply to
mike

Understood. The thing is I can actually do all I need (and always have done) with a square, pencil and hand saw. Or a circular saw but I often can't be bothered to get that out and set it up. They are also noisy and send the sawdust everywhere. I've hand cut many a thing in the kitchen and a quick hoover of the floor afterwards you wouldn't know I'd been there. ;-)

It just that as these sorts of tools become available cheap (in real terms), the idea of having the cut done quickly and (hopefully) as or more accurately than I can do by hand becomes more attractive. The offset being the storage of such kit compared with the hand versions.

I'm also not someone who generally hires stuff either, mainly because for my typical workload I can buy for what it would cost to hire (so could give it away afterwards) plus I've generally got a new tool to use rather than one hat may have had a hard life. I do have a mate with a SCMS that has said I'm welcome to borrow it but I don't like borrowing such stuff (for all sorts of reasons).

Ah, thanks.

Like I said, I'm not so into woodwork these days so it would typically be used to do the jobs I have to do rather than building cabinets etc for fun. I have bought tools, partly to use the tool but it wouldn't be the case for this.

Hmm, that's starting to become 'expensive', especially for the immediate project (that will mainly be cutting 4x2 at 90 deg). ;-)

Yeah, I have a carpenter mate with such a rig and it does make the whole thing so much easier. The trouble is I don't have a lwb Transit van to keep it all in. I could take it round to him but I don't want the faff and would rather use the favour on something more important.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yeah, where something doesn't move smoothly and feels like there is some (say) metal to metal contact going on?

I'd say one of the worst / typical thing to feel like that would be the sliders on such a tool. A proper design might have proper bushes to carry the rails and dust seals to keep the crap out. A cheap design might have rough castings just drilled out.

Another use of 'graunchy' might be a bearing going bad?

"Yeah, they aren't seized but they feel very graunchy so I'll fit a new pair for you ..."

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

T i m formulated the question :

I agree on the dust bag, but not the laser. The laser on mine was very accurate, in that you could set it to indicate where it would cut to a fraction of a millimetre. It is adjustable to indicate the precise left or right of the cut, but was difficult to see under direct sun. It runs on a single AA and I had a tendency to forget to switch it off - an improvement would have been some sort of trigger type switch, so you cannot leave it on.

It is quite a bulky object to have to store. I ended up making a shelf for it to fit up between the rafters of my flat roofed garage - but be warned that the sliders can rust, if not kept well oiled.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Got fed up with waiting for the Aldi one to reappear in stock, bought one of these

in anger on my first deck of the year (50+ sq mtrs) and I like it.

Also small enough that I can keep it in the van all the time.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It happens that The Medway Handyman formulated :

Which has a maximum cut of 210mm. The Argos one manages 310mm - which was the reason I chose it, I had some 300mm wide soffits to cut.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Oh, better than I expected then.

Ok.

IR movement sensor from a LED battery lamp? (we bought a couple of the

3 LED / battery / IR movement jobbies from B&Q and I'd have to say they are pretty good. If somewhere is completely dark and you walk into it they come on instantly and provide enough light to be able to see your way through etc).

Hmm, that could be a deal breaker.

I guess it's not too heavy to put (get up into) in the loft?

'Well oiled', I like the sound of that! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m