RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

You should read that thread and see what other Brits are saying bad about themselves. They are the ones complaining about what has happened to the electronics industry in England.

The US electronics industry isn't consumer grade crap. It is Military, Aerospace, Instrumentation and Medical Equipment.

I don't make that claim, but anytime someone outside the US disagrees, they toss out that straw man.

Tell me, what have you designed? Have you ever worked in a metrology lab repairing and calibrating test equipment? Have you built space qualified electronics and seen them used from space?

It was dropped long ago in the US, because it has no meaning for a car battery.

It won't detect a failing internal connection.

Skill? They were automated battery testers. Even a fast food drone could use one.

I've had two vehicles that had a battery explode while someone was driving them.

Duh! How could it, if it isn't connected? ;-)

In what universe does MOST mean 'only fitted to imports'?

They have to meet the current standards in the US before the vehicle can be offer for sale.

The original lumen limit was set when highways were two lane, with no space in between the lanes of opposing traffic. It was good engineering, for its time. Now, most highways have more than two lanes, and a 50' or wider strip between the two sets of roads so other types of lighting can be used.

A smaller alternator? I prefer the largest I can get. I have been in situations were a vehicle required frequent starts, and a smaller alternator just couldn't keep up with the demand. Smaller wire? I make battery cables from #1 AWG welding cable, instead of the standard #6 AWG. The reduced voltage drop in the starter circuit makes the engine start faster, reduces wear on the start motor and increases battery life. A 25% drop across the battery cables during starting wastes a lot of energy as heat. On a high compression V8 engine that was already at operating temperature I have seen a 6 volt drop, and the stock cables get to warm to touch. That was in my 1966 Pontiac GTO. After I put the custom battery cables on, the loss was about .75 volts. It would start just as fast when it was hot as when it was cold. That engine had over

220 pounds compression right after the engine was rebuilt, and before the new rings had seated.

What else are you going to make more efficient? Take out the radio and get rid of the vehicle's ECU?

Use crap if you want to, but don't tell me what to do.

I've spent time where the daytime high stayed below -20F for months at a time, with a record low of -69F.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In article , Michael A. Terrell wrote: [snip]

If you're claiming to have done all this, how can you get it wrong about something so simple as a modern battery tester?

Perhaps you're just living in the past.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is the 21st century, use SI units.

Reply to
Steve Firth

On 12/10/2010 4:50 PM Steve Firth spake thus:

What's the 21st century got to do with anything?

We (US) don't use those units (at least not in ordinary, non-engineering, non-technical usage), thank you very much. (And yes, lots of folks, myself included, like it that way.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The record was set last millenium, and that was when I was there. I appologize that you aren't smart enough to do the conversions.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Perhaps you live on a fantasy world.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Tell you what, Michael, buy one of these ACT units and give it a proper work out.

I have one and say it does what it claims to do.

You don't, and appear to be basing your views on 'experience' which is years out of date.

Or you could just visit a decent battery shop and see what they use these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And you think there are no US citizens who say bad things about your country? But perhaps you'd wish them silenced. You certainly give the impression of not wanting to allow others to have their own opinion.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The one that was mentioned by model number was quoted at 399 British pounds. I have better things to spend money on that overpriced toys.

Modern? Or set up for complete idiot employees?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yawn. You don't know me at all. It doesn't matter, though. I'm sure you wouldn't beleive what anyone told you about me.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Mine was used for pro purposes and in no way a toy. And was worth its cost for convenience alone - your dinosaur type wouldn't fit in a pocket.

However, the one I have cost nothing like that much. I've had it for several years. This appears to be the latest model - and seems to be well regarded in your country.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Looks like you've got yourself into quite the pissing match with a couple of these do it yourself retards.

Reply to
Meat Plow