R80 fittings connection

Can you advise me on this, please?

I've got some R80 ceiling recessed fittings from screwfix.

(Is it just I'm stupid, or is oredering online a nightmare,?)

Anyhow, they come with tails about a foot long attached to the fitting lamp connector block.

Can I remove the tails and go into the block with T & E, and tie back the earth, or must I connect to the tails?

If I must comnnect to the tails, what is the proper connection method?

Surely I don't have to use a junction box for each, and I haven't got enough scruits to finish the job.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Tails are probably high temperature -- T&E isn't.

What's wrong with a junction box?

A joke, I hope...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think connect to the tails, are they fibreglass or similar insulated? This would be because the lamp gets too hot for PVC to be used right into the fitting.

Junction box :-)

And those tails should be insulated *and* sheathed.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Owain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nnrp-t71-03.news.uk.clara.net:

Thanks, Owain and Andrew. I *did* fear the heat issue; it's why I asked.

I just thought as they're L and N only, and must be pretty common, there might be an acceptable sort of inline connector, like a protected chocblock.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

You can buy flex connectors in both 5A and 13A variants (a couple of inches long and flattened torpedo shape), but junction boxes will probably be a few p cheaper. Your choice.

Reply to
John Laird

John Laird wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, John, you're right; I looked around and junction boxes are by far the cheapest method - like a quarter the price!

mike

Reply to
mike ring