R.I.H. Effing Adaptors

How can you tell which one is which. Or better still, if you have a box full of the damn things and no idea where to stick them, is there a site listing what to do with them?

E.G.

What does the adapter 12v (hyphen over 3 dots) 350mA f*ck the geekspik mean?

Bastard electronics is the blackest satanic art of the filthy demon electickeries.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

that part I dont know what youre talking about.

Surely googling for advice on where to stick something would turn up a result, even if not very helpful.

12v 0.35A, the wiggly line over dots means rectified ac, which passes for dc for most appliances, but not all. So you can call it dc and its normally good enough.

Something like that will run most 12v loads but not all.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I think that needs qualifying a little!

Do you include starting a car engine as a 12v load?

Even for devices which are designed to be run off mains adapters, many take more than 350mA. For example, my ADSL router needs at least 1000mA.

When matching an adapter to a device, you need to take account of:

  • Voltage
  • Current required
  • Polarity
  • Plug/socket size
  • Whether the device requires AC or DC
  • Whether the device requires a stabilised supply [I have a feeling that the central pin on the device's socket is fatter when a stabilised supply is required to prevent an unstabilised supply from being used]
Reply to
Roger Mills

Google's obviously beyond you as well

manatbandq

My understanding is that it simply means direct current, from whatever source, e.g. could come from baterries.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

If you want to get pedantic, a car starter is not a 12v load.

unfortuantely there are no real standards for these lv jacks.

The difference between dc and rectified ac also matters for a minority of devices.

And finally, so does voltage source or curent source. while most lv adaptors are voltage source, there are exceptions, and in those cases subsittuting a regular voltage source adaptor can damage or break equipment, or even possibly be a safety problem.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You've lost me! Please explain what you mean by "voltage source".

Reply to
Roger Mills

The connection has timed out

The server at

is taking too long to respond.

  • The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
  • If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
  • If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Thanks to everyone else for such clear and concise explanations. No doubt if I hang around here long enough, someone will comply with my request and or supply a translation.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

It's working fine from here, shit face.

Reply to
manatbandq

A regular power supply would be an example of a voltage source, something that supplies a known voltage.

A current source supplies a known current into a circuit.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

He's on AOL....

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

A voltage source attempts to maintain a constant voltage. As the load on it varies, the voltage remains constant, but the current increases or decreases. A battery is a reasonable example of a voltage source. It appears to have a low internal impedance, meaning that as you draw more current, the voltage remains constantish. The lower the internal impedance, the better the voltage will hold up as the current demand increases. Most ( but not all ) power supplies are voltage sources.

A current source is a rather stranger beast, less intuitive. It attempts to drive a constant current through the load. It varies the voltage as required to achieve this. It appears to have a very high internal impedance.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Most adaptors are voltage sources in that they deliver a specified voltage, and as you vary the load current the v stays either the same or at least nominaly nearish to the same. Some adaptors are designed to control current output, eg for charging nicads. These may have a relatively high secondary resistance, or less often active circuitry to control the current more accurately.

If you use a voltage source adaptor in place of a current source one, youre going to fry your batteries and the adaptor, as excess current will flow. The good news is it only applies to battery charging wallwarts, the rest are all the usual voltage source types.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It is a 12 v power supply. The dash-above-3-dots indicates DC.

350mA is the maximum amount of current it can supply.

It will be able to supply pretty much any device that needs 12v and requires anything up to 350mA.

Just how well regulated it is, who can say. ( ie, how close to 12v it remains under different loads ).

Reply to
Ron Lowe

well you can consider the squiggle over dots as meaning dc, alhough technically it doesnt. Thats'll be close enough for nearly all goods.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Squiggle? A Hyphen is not a squiggle; it's a straight line.

He's clearly describing the symbol for DC:

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Thanks - and also to the others who gave a similar explanation. I understand perfectly what you mean - I just wasn't familiar with the particular terminology.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks for that but what will the thing power? I have a load of these things of varying whatsits. How do I find out which can go in the bin and which I aught to keep for whatever?

Is there no site with a suitable list? Some weird nerd with a taste for lists and an unfortunate and highly repulsive hobby?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Basically, they come in three types. AC, DC and regulated DC outputs. Most electronic devices use DC output types, and you can use a DC one where the original was AC, but not the other way round. So the most versatile is a regulated DC type which could be substituted in the majority of cases for the others. The voltage is fairly self explanatory, but will not be as stated if you measure it off load - even with some regulated types. The mA is simply the maximum current the device can supply - it will be happy with less, but the output voltage may rise too high if the load is much less than its capacity.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

rectified ac is not dc. But its near enough for most purposes.

NT

Reply to
meow2222