Quickest way to boil a kettle, in a car?

I saw a stainless flask fall out of a moped riders haversack, bounce along the road a few times before being squashed flat by an artic and that's probably the only way a stainless flask could be damaged.

I also think that stainless flasks are the way to go for the OP. the two I have keep water scalding hot for at least 12 hours, minimum, and I always pre heat the flask with boiling water before filling, even if the final liquid to go in the flask is boiling water.

matalan and wilko are just some of the stores which seem to have inexpensive stainless flasks in stock, summer or winter and a (colective noun) of flasks is far, far cheaper than his only other viable option: a trailer containing a 3Kw genny a domestic kettle and one of these

;-)

RT

Reply to
[news]

SS is better than glass because you can drop kick it off a cliff, climb down and still have a nice warm drink. I would hardly say that the few grammes difference between a SS and glass Thermos is really going to make that much difference.

Reply to
doozer

Yes, it helps. But we don't do it for as long as that.

Life's a bitch. Are you keeping count?

They acquire street credibility with dents :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes - and the car windows steam up!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

> Very clever.

This :-

|countryGB&start=10&sa=NFinds this :-
Jeff

btw - how is this diy related ?

Reply to
Jeff

Well if everyone is so convinced by the superiority of them, maybe I ought to consider them. I do already have "one of those" btw. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Too much?? Is that possible? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Well if you're going to so *that*, then I guess you need SS. Personally, I've never had that problem.

I'm beginning to realise that we probably have a 1st generation one. It weighs a bloody ton and I've never been impressed by it's performance.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

|countryGB&start=10&sa=N>

think you must mean this 12V 100W one
the less electrically minded, 100W is almost the same consumption as leaving your headlights on, being around 65Watts each.

Here's an immersion heater

a kettle).

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Coincidentally I did a test on my 1 litre one recently, and can confirm what Mary says. This was a wide-necked Thermos (i.e. with a glass vacuum flask in it). After that test my daughter decided to use it full of initially boiling water to heat her baby bottles on a trip to Holland, instead of the useless mothercare gadget I mentioned earlier.

Here's the results which plot an almost straight line on an excel log chart. Measurements were with a thermocouple meter after inverting the contents a couple of times before each measurement; the lid was opened briefly each time to insert the thermocouple wire.

Date Time Elapsed Temp (deg C)

16/12/2004 17:57 0:00 98.0 16/12/2004 18:12 0:15 94.5 16/12/2004 18:43 0:46 93.0 16/12/2004 20:52 2:55 87.5 17/12/2004 00:29 6:32 79.0 17/12/2004 01:44 7:47 76.5 17/12/2004 02:13 8:16 76.0 17/12/2004 10:20 16:23 62.0 17/12/2004 13:20 19:23 59.0 17/12/2004 15:00 21:03 56.5 17/12/2004 16:50 22:53 55.0 17/12/2004 18:53 24:56 53.0 18/12/2004 01:20 31:23 48.0 18/12/2004 08:15 38:18 43.0 18/12/2004 11:08 41:11 41.0 18/12/2004 14:15 44:18 39.0

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

The problem with these is that (a) they are expensive and (b) only raise the temperature of the product by so many degrees above ambient. I forget the figure but I never found it sufficient.

Reply to
Bob Eager

> Regards Jeff

And how does this answer my original question?

So far all you've done is post pointers to sources of electric kettles when my original post was mostly about the merits of inverters (or otherwise) and for recommedations for "good 12v kettles or electrically heated pans".

As to it's relevance to uk.d-i-y, I consider that the knowledge base here with regards to the use of inverters and more general issues concerning low voltage electrics as very extensive. Where else should I ask about the use of inverters and hope to get practical knowledge based experience relevant to someone living in the UK?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

And it doesn't explain why SS thermos should be better than a glass one from the point of view of heat retention, which was your question.

Do give a new one a chance!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Phil Addison wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Got one on my car. Saab has had them as an option for years - just a little copper coil embedded in what looks like rubber. Replaces a small section of some suitable part of the engine coolant system.

Unfortunately for the OP, it is intended purely to warm the windscreen wash sufficiently to avoid freezing... just a pleasantly warm trickle.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

The best way is to tap into the engine cooling system or wrap a heat exchanger round the exhaust pipe :-)

A 3KW kettle bolds in about 3 minutes, sso takes about 9KW minutes...or

0.15Kwh

at 12v that is about 12.5Ah - well within the capability of a car battery. But not three times in a row with the engine off...

I'd say you will get away with it, BUT I'd invest in a cheap voltmeter to tell you when to turn the engine back on...or you may find you can't...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

i JUST REMEMBERD- i USED TO BREW UP WITH A CAL;OR GAS CAMPING STOVE IN TEH BACK OF MY bEDFORD VAN.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When driving? Or parked up?

May I suggest a few things

Flasks to keep WATER and SOUP as hot as possible to reduce extra heat needed to boil.

Use of metal flasks strapped to parts of teh engine exhaust to achieve similar.

Use a frigging camping gaz stove if parked up. Carry a sheet of masterboard to put it on. I've cooked meals in the back of cars with these.

Otherwise, if on the move, use 12v immersion heater plugged into car ciggy lighter socket.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

============= If the flask ideas fail look at:

careful with all that hot liquid - most of my drinks seemed to go up my nose unless I slowed to a walk!

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

In article , Tim Downie writes

If you go down the inverter route I found

to be the cheapest when I bought one, not tried to boil a kettle with it but powered lots of other things, engine on and off, they are "intelligent" and cut off if it detects that its getting to a point that the engine won't start. MDS do a range from 80w up to 2000w.

Reply to
<Dave

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@damia.uk.clara.net:

Back in my (theological!!!) college days we used a primus in a biscuit tin, which also doubled as a heater fro the prewar Morris 8

mike

Reply to
mike ring