Quick steam cleaner query

We've just got one of these

primarily for kitchen floor tiles, bathroom tiles etc., etc. It says in the handbook that came with it that it can be used to clean windows - specifically the glass, not the uPVC, and it even comes with a squeegee attachment to do it.

I reckon if you squirt steam at a double-glazed panel it's gonna crack, my missus reckons that it should be OK given that there's a specific tool/instructions to do so. Who's right - cos I don't fancy paying for a new window!

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Zahut

That is fairly sound provided there is no exclusion fro DG units though TBH I can't see it being a problem for the glass.

Well as she said it was OK she pays surely?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I would guess that the localised heat would set up stresses in the glass and that it might well shatter. Glass doesn't always shatter straight away. You can drop a glass, pick it up then have it shatter a week latter untouched, in the cupboard.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Just out of curiously, why would you want to steam clean a window? Even my kitchen one close to the cooking area cleans easily with warm water and a drop of washing up liquid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, we don't have my money and her money, we have a communal pot of our money so I'd still end up paying some :o(

Reply to
Pete Zahut

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Glass doesn't always shatter

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Dave Plowman (News) formulated the question :

I think a TV ad for a steam cleaner showed it being used to clean a window. Having bought and tested one, I really cannot think of a slower method by which one could clean a window.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Just asked her that very question on your behalf Dave and the reply was, "Well, it says I can so I just wanted to play with the new toy" (which was literally just delivered a couple of hours ago) - so make of that what you will :o)

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Harry Bloomfield coughed up some electrons that declared:

I have a little steam cleaner - it is useful for small areas of hideous gunk - like bits of a cooker and fiddly bits on a sink like round the taps. Where you can concentrate a tiny jet of mentally host steam for a few seconds those things do work.

But for large cold areas, all it does is effectively deposit warm water - you might as well start with a bucket of warm flash/etc.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Even if you had separate pots it would come out of yours. It's home repair.

Actually I think the retailer should pay for any consequential damage so if your windows are manky wait until it's a really cold day then steam them all to bggry and claim for new ones.

(Obviously you cannot live in the house in really cold weather without windows so you get a stay at a nice hotel paid for too.)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

What are you buying her for xmas - a rotavator? ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I worked for Karcher when they first launched theirs and was also wary, but after dozens of trials found that it gave an incredible clean with no breakages.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Oh, cheers Dave. Quite surprised at that. I'll have to get some custard on the go now to go with that humble pie :o)

Reply to
Pete Zahut