Quick SDS drill question - any experience?

My cheapo SDS drill doesn't have long to go (brushes don't last and it's hardly worth the investment to buy new ones), so I've decided to get a new one. Although they're incredibly useful, it's not that often that I have to get it out so it's not easily to justify (/ask Father Christmas for) a top of the range one. I had my eye on the De Walt from Screwfix

but went into B+Q last night and they had these knocked down to 50 quid (
(Blimey that's a long link - it's a 700Watt Black and Decker, in case that doesn't work)

I was just wondering, before entering into negotiations, whether anyone has had good or bad experiences with either. As I said, it's not something I'll use every day, so I don't need a 200 quid jobbie, but it would be good to know whether either of these is prone to falling apart in 5 minutes. My only 'must have' feature is a rotation stop for chiselling as breaking things up and cutting chases is so much simpler with an SDS.

Cheers Chaps

Reply to
GMM

The DeWalt looks - and has a spec similar to - the original that was really just about the first DIY affordable SDS with rotation stop. But at well under half the price. If it is it's a great unit. My original still works fine and is a joy to use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have had the DeWalt. It took 6 years of constant abuse to break it. I was so pleased with it I bought another. The DeWalt actually has more hammer power than the B&D even though the motor uses less power.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I bought the Dewalt last year, but have only ever used it once - only because I already have a 18v cordless SDS, so it hasnt been needed. If you are in the Leicester area, I'd sell it at £50, including 2 chisels and a few drills. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Looks like the DeWalt is the way to go then!

Thanks for the offer Alan, but sadly there's no way I can make it to Leicester in the near future, or I'd be happy to take it off your hands. Perhaps there's someone lurking in the group who might be able to relieve you of it though.

All the best G

Reply to
GMM